Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:54 PM   #1

Hi, I am looking for a digital camera to give to my mother for christmas but I know almost nothing about digital cameras (or cameras in general)
She isn't very tech savvy so I would like something relatively simple that can basically be "point and shoot" without much (or any) manual adjustments (she might be willing to learn some manual features, but nothing too advanced)

Most pictures will be indoor setting with low - medium light setting, but will also be taking some outdoor pictures. I doubt she will take any night photos.
Also 99% of the photos will be still shot, might be the odd action, but very rarely.
She doesn't really need very big images either, probably just standard size (although with a digital camera she might want to print off bigger images)

The most I would be willing to spend is probably the $400-450 mark, although I would like to keep it in the $300 range (Canadian dollars) I will be willing to spend 400 if a camera in that range is just "THAT much better".

Im not sure how much megapixels I would need (you guys would probably know better than I would based off my description) I am guessing 5-6 range (but hey the higher the better right?)
Don't think I would need much for zoom, just standard (3x-5x I would guess)
Being able to record a little bit of video could be neat to, but not a requirement.

Also I would like it to be a model that is available from http://www.futureshop.ca or http://www.bestbuy.ca (I think they both have the same models since they are owned by the same company)

Now I notice some cameras have Image stabilizers, which seem to enhance the image a bit. Most images will be taken by a person holding it, probably won't get a tripod, so I dont know if IS would help a lot or not

A few of the models I was looking at was the Nikon P3 which seems really nice since it has IS, and WiFi. Although doesn't have an optical view finder (not sure if my mother would use OVF or not)

However the Canon A540 as well as A630 also looks really nice, but doesn't seem to have Image Stabilizer. Now the A710 does but that is starting to get a little high for me... but then Again I have no idea if I need IS or not.

Anyways any suggestions would be great! I was looking through and there is just so many to chose from and look at it is hard to narrow down what would be best for my needs

Thanks

Oh also forgot to mention, image quality is important. I would say 8 or 9 on a 1-10 scale.
Also size isn't very important. I mean I would rather not have one too big, but doesn't need to fit in a pocket, maybe just in a purse.

master_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:56 PM   #2

The Kodak cameras are easy to use and take pleasing pictures. I'd go with a V-series as they seem well made. My wife has the V-530 and it's really nice, yet inexpensive. I bought my sister the C643 and while it takes nice pictures and is also easy to use, it doesn't seem as well made. The plastic body seems kind of cheap.

For the non-techie, I think Kodak is a great choice. Their menu system is made to be easy to use.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:49 AM   #3

The Kodaks are nice but many of them are little bit on the saturated side. Also, dont buy one with the cheap Kodak lens. The A630 would be a great camera for all around use but you said that many shots will be done in low light, which I would suggest looking at the Fuji F30. More megapixels do not equate better pictures. If they try to pack too many MPs on a small sensor then the picture can become grainy. Samsung had some cameras last season that were 8MP and they were some of the worst cameras around. They have done better this season.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:58 AM   #4

hmm the f30 doesn't seem to be available at either of those stores :/ on the F20SE

So would I know a big difference for the Image Stabilizer or not really?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:45 PM   #5

Yes and no. The Fuji can do higher ISO settings which relates to faster shutter speeds in lower light situations without use of IS. The IS features on cameras will help in low light so that the hand does not create the blur when the shutter speed is set slower.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:57 PM   #6

The F20SE is really nice. It's high ISO perfromance makes up a bit for the lack of IS.

The good ones with IS are a bit more. But if you are willing to go to about $400 CA, the Sony DSC- T9 and T10 are there, as well as the Canon SD700IS, or the A710 IS.

A really good bargain there is the A530.

The P3 seems like a pretty good choice at that price, as well.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:01 PM   #7

Ok i think i have it narrowed down to either the

A710, S3, and SD700. They all look fairly good, and I decided I might as well put down a little extra cash to get something that is a lot better

Size isn't really an issue either.

My parents are planning on going to africa or austrilia sometime in the next 2 years, so they may like the zoom on the S3.

It's just so hard to pick...

Which would you guys recommend out of these 3 for quality being the most important (mainly outdoors and in house during the day with plenty of windows)

The swivel is a nice feature, but not necessary.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:26 PM   #8

master_kaos wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I am looking for a digital camera to give to my mother for christmas but I know almost nothing about digital cameras (or cameras in general)
She isn't very tech savvy so I would like something relatively simple that can basically be "point and shoot" without much (or any) manual adjustments (she might be willing to learn some manual features, but nothing too advanced)

Most pictures will be indoor setting with low - medium light setting, but will also be taking some outdoor pictures. I doubt she will take any night photos.
Also 99% of the photos will be still shot, might be the odd action, but very rarely.
She doesn't really need very big images either, probably just standard size (although with a digital camera she might want to print off bigger images)

The most I would be willing to spend is probably the $400-450 mark, although I would like to keep it in the $300 range (Canadian dollars) I will be willing to spend 400 if a camera in that range is just "THAT much better".

Im not sure how much megapixels I would need (you guys would probably know better than I would based off my description) I am guessing 5-6 range (but hey the higher the better right?)
Don't think I would need much for zoom, just standard (3x-5x I would guess)
Being able to record a little bit of video could be neat to, but not a requirement.

Also I would like it to be a model that is available from http://www.futureshop.ca or http://www.bestbuy.ca (I think they both have the same models since they are owned by the same company)

Now I notice some cameras have Image stabilizers, which seem to enhance the image a bit. Most images will be taken by a person holding it, probably won't get a tripod, so I dont know if IS would help a lot or not

A few of the models I was looking at was the Nikon P3 which seems really nice since it has IS, and WiFi. Although doesn't have an optical view finder (not sure if my mother would use OVF or not)

However the Canon A540 as well as A630 also looks really nice, but doesn't seem to have Image Stabilizer. Now the A710 does but that is starting to get a little high for me... but then Again I have no idea if I need IS or not.

Anyways any suggestions would be great! I was looking through and there is just so many to chose from and look at it is hard to narrow down what would be best for my needs

Thanks

Oh also forgot to mention, image quality is important. I would say 8 or 9 on a 1-10 scale.
Also size isn't very important. I mean I would rather not have one too big, but doesn't need to fit in a pocket, maybe just in a purse.

Canadian eh? same here

According your request, if you want a big name like Canon just choose any A-series, or SD-series. A-series give you some manual contorl and SDs are ultra compact andhave less manual control. Choose the one with at least 5MP;at least3x optical; if it's equiped with640x480 30 fps movie featuer is even better. Your mom may like larger LCD as well. SD600(Feb '06model) for $296CADat BBlooks pretty good to me. A-series is cool but if i were in your situation, i'd get an elph for my momthat is great for ladies (no offense for guys who own elph )

Steve's review

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/sd600.html

In short: Image quality was very good for a consumer model, and with 6-megapixels you'll have plenty of resolution to create photo-lab quality 8x10-inch or larger prints.

I've never used IS camerabefore so i can't say. but if you shake too much while pressing the shutter, IS won'tsave your picsyou know that right. Maybe it'll become standard feature1 or 2 years later but it's not a must today.

Other manufactures make good camera too but i didn't do the homework for you. To me, elph looks better.

BTW, i just bought a dvd player from BB and found this on the receipt:

Gift returns and exchanges will be accepted until Jan 8th, 2007

sobuy it today and check their price every week. if theylower the price, bring your receipt and get the price protection. Check with them to confirm what i said was right.

good luck.

caddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:59 PM   #9

If you want the swivel with a large screen then look also at the A640. It doesn't have IS but you have to determine how important certain features are to you.