Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:41 AM   #1

Hi all

first of all i must say that u guys r doing a gr8 job making ppl aware of the pros and cons of this delicate machine CAMERA

ok herez my request. ibought fuji 2600zoom 5 years ago and still its working but now the pictures i take are bluish n greenish in color n d outdoor pictures are tooo bright. well i want to buy a new camera now

i did alot of research on fuji cameras and a little research on other cameras

so i found that f30 fuji is a gr8 camera.

but when i look at other models i really get alot confused

my price range is below 400$

so looking at f30 capabilities can some recommend me a good camera
adilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:35 PM   #2

I like the F30 alot (which I own).

I got it for it's good image quality all around, both indoors and outdoors, plus it's manual controls, and compact size (just small enough for me to consider it a reasonable poacket cam, though there are other models that are smaller). The great battery life is also a plus.

If you want the compact size, and manual controls aren't that important, you might prefer the Canon SD700IS. It's high ISO performance isn't quite as good, but I think the IS mostly makes up for that in low light situations, and it's also a bit easier to use as a pure point and shoot.

The Sony DSC-T10 offers similar quality and features to the SD700.

The Canon A710IS would be larger, not really pocket size, but have good manual controls and features, a bit more zoom, and also the IS but not quite as good high ISO performace. It also uses AA batteries which some people prefer (though I would only prefer that if traveling abroad--when you might want to use disposables rather than have to worry about power adaptors for different electiical standards on a recharger).

And if compact really isn't important, and you prefer the ergonomics of a a more mid sized camera, you might like something like the Kodak P880. It diesn't have either good high ISO performace or stabilization, but it has a nice feature set, a nice build, a stronger flash than most, manual zoom, and other features which will appeal to more advanced phtographers, but with the ease of use that appeals to the less experienced.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:40 AM   #3

thnx for the reply KENBALBARI

i chked all but i dont know why F30 iz d best i see

and itz a plus point for me dat ur actually i user of F30

so how do u find f30 in outdoor n indoorz

alot ppl say some cons in it but i think u can say everything very clearly as u own it

so KENBALBARI, shall i go for it or still see some more cameras

is it a good alrounder???

plz reply fast az im gonna buy it soon

and yes d new f31fd iz also in i think so iz dere a big difference or f30 will do good

thnx again for ur reply
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:55 PM   #4

If you do a lot of photos indoors and do not want to use the flash, get the F30. If you do most of your pics in normal lighting situations then get the Canon. The F30 is a good all around camera, but I prefer the Canons in normal to bright lighting.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:56 PM   #5

I like the Fuji in outdoor light, but it does require a bit more adjustment than the Canon. If you leave it on auto, with default settings, it will overexpose some in bright daylight (especially midday).

The Canon does a bit better with it's multi-metering. I prefer spot metering anyway, and rarely shoot in "auto" mode, and I think I am likely getting results as good as I would have with the Canon. Even testing it in multi-metering mode, I've found it exposes proerly most of the time, and normally only really needs EV correction around mid day (like 10-2).

Indoors, if it's a still shot, I think the Canons with IS will do as well as the Fuji. But with shots of people, where you are going to have some subject movement, I think the Fuji has a bit of advantage.

If you really want a pocketable no fuss point and shoot that will give you the best results out of camera most of the time, with no need for manual controls, the Canon Sd700 might have a small edge. (The Fuji F20 looks like a good bargain alternative, however.)

If you do much shooting of people indoors and in lower light, such as in social situations, want the manual controls, and also want something pocketable, the F30 is really the best choice.

The A710 IS is a bit larger, but with a nice set of manual controls. Some also prefer the grip on the slightly larger camera. And it has a 6X zoom, and support for a good set of available accesories. Otherwise, picture quality & features are somewhat similar to the SD700IS.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above. You will still be able to take good indoor shots in most situations with the Canons (turn the flash on if you really need it). You will still get good outdoor shots in most situations with the Fuji (punch in -1/3 EV if it's overexposing). The Canons have a few more features, like the mycolors feature and stitch assist.

So go with whichever most fits your needs and photographic style.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:02 AM   #6

Thnx again for ur reply

well i think i will go for f30 coz i usually taking pix in indoors or low light

the outdoors will also b gr8 i believe with fuji

coz d features in f30 like iso, intelligent flash n all r making me go for it :-)

and yes i will use manual controls in d day to get good results

n yes do u have any idea of f31fd

at d end...nothingz perfect in dis world

OR

the best digital camera is yet to come

i will inform you as soon as i buy it
Old Nov 14, 2006, 5:53 AM   #7

last time again asking...

shall i buy it???
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:58 PM   #8

I thought you decided.

KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:53 PM   #9

ok

datz it

i finally did it

F30 :-):-):-)

so any tips n tricks regarding it usage in outdoors n indoors

ISO n oder stuff
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:51 AM   #10

n yes one more thing...is this new face detection technology something really big breakthrough or its a simple one

coz ma friend has canon with fd but i dont see so exeptional fotoz as they say