Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:50 PM   #1

I used to study photography in college and want to get back into it, in college i used a manual 35mm camera, so i want the same kind of thing but digital-does this make sense? i want all the manual options except in a digital format. i dont have much to spend arounf £300. another question i looked at the Samsung GX-1L in the usa its arounf $250 where as here in the uk its about £4001 can i get one shipped over here cheaper?
cablefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:34 PM   #2

That's around $500 in the US.

There's an error in the pricegrabber box on the review page; it's showing US prices for a completely different camera.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:50 PM   #3

so do you think it would be possible to ship over a camera to the uk? can you help me with my original question about which camera to get?
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:50 PM   #4

another thing i did not mention is that i would like to be able to create hdr images as well. i like these types of picture and i have adobe photoshop so i have the software to create them.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:21 AM   #5
Super Moderator

The UK price difference is largely due to the fact that in the US prices are advertised without SALES TAX. In the UK prices include VAT.

You can get it sent over, but you need to be careful for two reasons. Firstly if it is intercepted on entry you will be liable to pay VAT. Note that you will already have paid SALES TAX and you cannot get that refunded. Secondly your manufacturer's warrantee will most likely not be honored by the local arm of that company. So if something goes wrong you will be stuck with a camera that doesn't work and the full cost of repairing it. In fact some manufacturers won't even repair cameras that are grey imports at all. You would have to ship it back to the USA for repair.

The prices available on the reputable internet sites like www.warehouseexpress.com and a few others are really very close to the US prices once you adjust for tax. I suggest that the remaining difference is best regarded as the price of a warrantee.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:40 PM   #6

thanks for that, i think ill stick to buying here in the uk, so do you have any recommendations on what cameras i should be looking at?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:56 PM   #7

http://steves-digicams.com/holiday2006/slr.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Look at the DSLR section of Steve's holiday Wishlist, or the DSLRs under $1000 section of the best camera list.

The Samsung model you are looking at is basically the same as a Pentax K110D.

The entry level models right now would be the Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D50 or D70s, Olympus E500, or Pentax K110D or K100D. The next step up would be the Rebel XTi, Nikon D80, Sony A100, or Pentax K10D.

Or you may decide you don't want a DSLR, and instead would like a fixed lens model with alot of manual functions, but no interchangeable lenses. Then you might try Steves recommended superzooms:

http://steves-digicams.com/holiday2006/superzoom.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote