Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:07 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy my mother a digital point & shoot. Size is not really important, but I'd like something with at least a 3x optical zoom. Mostly though, I want a camera that shoots in the 4x6 aspect ratio (not 4:3 like most of the P&S's out there).

My first 2 digi cams were Kodaks, and they both shot 4x6. They were great entry level cameras that were simple to use and what you shot was what you had printed. I think that's key for a entry level camera and that's what I'm looking to get my mom. Unfortunatly, I believe Kodak switched to 4:3 about the time they abandoned CF as their storrage medium of choice.

I'f you've got suggestions for a P&S that shoots in 4x6, I'm all ears.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:06 PM   #2

I beleive alot of them have the ability to shoot in a 3:2 ratio, even if that's not the sensor's native aspect. The Fuji F20, for example, would let you chose a 3:2 mode.

The Panasonic LX2 actually has a 16:9 size sensor and LCD display, but also has a mode for shooting in 3:2.

Other than that, I can only think of DSLRs (and the Sony R1) which use an actual 3:2 sized sensor. Most of the point and shoots seems to be a 4:3 ratio.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:13 PM   #3

That is pretty much what I found, that most P&S were 4:3. Thanks for the tip on the Fuji & Panasonics. I'll give them a look.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote