Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:03 AM   #1

What do you think of this camera?
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:54 AM   #2

maryccc wrote:
Quote:
What do you think of this camera?
Hi Mary,

I simply love my Oly E-500! The kit lenses are superb...especially the 40-150 (300mm in 35mm) which will give you your reach you are looking for when you go to the zoo!!

As far as the limitations of the camera....as has been stated a gazillion times...EVERY camera has them! All I can tell you is this:

1) View Finder has been a non-issue for me. It is smaller than some others...but to be frank...I didn't have alot of experience with other DSLR's...so I have not missed anything. It is more than adequate for my needs.

2) High ISO limitations (so called) have also been a non-starter. I just returned from a vacation in Branson, Mo....and I took some great pics (to me and my family...which at the end of the day are the ONLY people that matter!) at 800 ISO...with no flash. By they way....Bill Medley of the Righteous Bros. and Paul Revere and the Raiders put on a great show!!

3) The ergonomics are simply wonderful. This is the MAIN selling point of the camera....to me. I held most of the others....D-50....Rebel XT...Nikon D-20 & 30....Sony Alpha. I chose my E-500 simply because I felt "one" with it. Every other camera I held are superb camera's in their own right.

4) The menu system is outstanding and super easy to navigate around in. The large LCD screen on the back is gorgeous.

So....Mary...what I'm saying is...IF your "heart of hearts" is telling you to get a DSLR....go get one! You will be happy with ANY of the entry level DSLR's performance....but mostly YOU will be much much happier that you went DSLR and did not settle for something that you knew would not meet your needs completely....even IF you are not quite sure what all those "needs" are at the moment!

But...like another poster on another thread cautioned....."do not....repeat...do NOT get caught up in endless research and comparing, or as he aptly put it...."analysis paralysis"! So folks get so caught up in this need to have the absolute best of everything (which is impossible) in their camera....that all they do is shop...and shop...and shop.....and shop some more. They never end up taking pic's of their own and enjoying the simple pleasures of actually creating memories!

So Go! Go get one! Take some pics....and let us know how much fun you are having!

Randy

randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:28 AM   #3

Thank you for your review. I have decided not to get an SLR due to the cost and I am not ready for it yet. I've decided on a Sony Cybershot 6.0 DSCH2
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4

That sounds like a great choice. If I were in the market for a new superzoom, I would probably pick that one. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:56 AM   #5

i bought it and i love it
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:41 PM   #6

Five years ago I bought the Olympus UZI (c2100). It had 10X optical zoom, image stabilization, Smart Media Cards, and 2 megapixels. I was thrilled at the pictures it took. I spent over $700 for it. It's hard to believe that for less than half the price, you could buy the H2 with 6 megapixels, 12X optical zoom, and image stabilization. It must be nice to have such a relatively small camera with such reach.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote