Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:34 AM   #1

Firstly, thanks for everyones replies on my previous threads, they have been most helpful. I have now decided to go back to an all-in-one camera as I cannot justify the extra expense of an SLR system aswell as not wanting to carry around loads of kit etc!! I would just like a camera that I can pick up, power on and it will do everything I want!!

I have narrowed my choices to the Panasonic FZ50 or the Sony R1 reasons being as follows,

I want a camera that has room for me to grow and learn with that also produces excellent images that require no or minimal post processing. They are both similar prices that I can see (FZ - £350 R1 £399).

Initially I looked at the FZ series because of the zoom etc but since the R1 has come down in price here it is starting to make some sense asprevious/current cameras in the house are Sony (W1 and T9) and my camcorder is Sony. The Camcorder actually uses the same battery as the R1 and I already have a 512Mb memory stick (sandisk UltraII) that will start me off whereas I would have to purchase an SD for the Pany.

The one thing that is putting me off is a question I keep asking myself "Will I miss/need the zoom range of the Pany?" I guess only I can answer that question but I would like someinput from users of these cameras as to how they are getting on with it!!

I would beshootingpictures from holidays, pics of my young son, gardenand places I visit(zoos etc)

I just need to make my mind up so I can go an buy the thing and get on with it!!!
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:46 AM   #2

I feel your pain. I am in the same situation. I want an SLR but can't justify the expense. Do I spend 700 dollars and not get everything I want or spend half of that and get what I want except it's not an SLR. I really like the kodak 880 but Best buy has sold out of them so I'm thinking of settling for the Kodak Z612. It seems to have everything I want. But I still want an SLR.
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:24 AM   #3

miked2372 wrote:
Quote:
Firstly, thanks for everyones replies on my previous threads, they have been most helpful. I have now decided to go back to an all-in-one camera as I cannot justify the extra expense of an SLR system aswell as not wanting to carry around loads of kit etc!! I would just like a camera that I can pick up, power on and it will do everything I want!!

I have narrowed my choices to the Panasonic FZ50 or the Sony R1 reasons being as follows,

I want a camera that has room for me to grow and learn with that also produces excellent images that require no or minimal post processing. They are both similar prices that I can see (FZ - £350 R1 £399).

Initially I looked at the FZ series because of the zoom etc but since the R1 has come down in price here it is starting to make some sense asprevious/current cameras in the house are Sony (W1 and T9) and my camcorder is Sony. The Camcorder actually uses the same battery as the R1 and I already have a 512Mb memory stick (sandisk UltraII) that will start me off whereas I would have to purchase an SD for the Pany.

The one thing that is putting me off is a question I keep asking myself "Will I miss/need the zoom range of the Pany?" I guess only I can answer that question but I would like someinput from users of these cameras as to how they are getting on with it!!

I would beshootingpictures from holidays, pics of my young son, gardenand places I visit (zoos etc)

I just need to make my mind up so I can go an buy the thing and get on with it!!!
I have to imagine if you will be taking a lot of pictures indoors of your son the lighting may at times be limited. If that is true and you don't use a flash I can almost guarantee you will not be happy with the FZ series. The sensor is just too small for the amount of megapixels they cram into the sensor. You will end up with noisy shots. Sure you can post process some of the noise out but you will also lose picture detail. The extreme low light situations like Indoor shots where a flash is prohibited like stage performances will be absolutely useless. Forget about indoor sports or fast action shots too. In low light you mightactually be better off in some cases shooting with the R1 and cropping and resizing the image to makeup for some zoom range.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:29 AM   #4

is the Panasonic - 6.0-MP Digital Camera DMC-FZ7S a good one. I'm just about to hit the button to buy it.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:32 AM   #5

maryccc wrote:
Quote:
I feel your pain. I am in the same situation. I want an SLR but can't justify the expense. Do I spend 700 dollars and not get everything I want or spend half of that and get what I want except it's not an SLR. I really like the kodak 880 but Best buy has sold out of them so I'm thinking of settling for the Kodak Z612. It seems to have everything I want. But I still want an SLR.
Unless I am misinterpreting, your last sentence says it all. It sounds as if no matter what you buy, you stillwant an SLR. That leads me to believe that no matter whatmodel P&Syou buy, there will always be that little remorse about not getting a DSLR that will have you second guessing your decison. There are affordable DSLRs alternatives out there but adding lenses can be addicting.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:33 AM   #6

Not so much pain but some confusion:?

Went out lunchtime to Jessops and held both cameras. Have to say that the Sony felt a lot better in the hand than the panasonic.
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:39 AM   #7

miked2372 wrote:
Quote:
Not so much pain but some confusion:?

Went out lunchtime to Jessops and held both cameras. Have to say that the Sony felt a lot better in the hand than the panasonic.
That's an important consideration - ergonomics. It's veryy important and very individual.

As to missing the zoom. Where it will be most noticable based on your stated uses is "trips to the zoo" - you'll find that the R1 is way too short for wildlife shots - even at a zoo. You really want at least 300mm equivelent focal length for zoo shots. So, it comes down to how often you think you'd want shots like that.

Now, if the R1 has attachment lens or teleconverter then you may be in business. you'd just need to get that accessory for these types of shots.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:42 AM   #8

I have been looking at an olympus evolt e500. It has this

Zuiko Digital 3.2x zoom 14-45mm f/3.5-f/5.6 and 3.8x zoom 40-150mm f/3.5-f/4.5 lenses; 2.5" TFT-LCD

Will I get the zoom I want with those?

I will miss not having video though.

What do you think is it a good camera?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:47 AM   #9

maryccc wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking at an olympus evolt e500. It has this

Zuiko Digital 3.2x zoom 14-45mm f/3.5-f/5.6 and 3.8x zoom 40-150mm f/3.5-f/4.5 lenses; 2.5" TFT-LCD

Will I get the zoom I want with those?

I will miss not having video though.

What do you think is it a good camera?
Mary - with all due respect, you're all over the board. As best as I can tell you've jumped between about 5 cameras in the last few days across 3 or 4 threads. I'll post a reply in a thread you started. Let's leave this thread to the OP so they can get their questions answered.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:52 AM   #10

I'm sorry but I am so undecided.