Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:19 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy a camera from £400.00 to £600.00 (USD $700.00 to $1100.00)

Can anyone help with best camera for the money i want to spend!!

Don't worry if the price is abit over.

Thanks Guys and Girls
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:07 PM   #2

i say the Sony DSCH2
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:38 PM   #3

If size is not a problem then look at the Pentax, Canon, and Nikon DSLRs. With that type of money, you would not want to choose a lesser point and shoot.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:45 PM   #4

Yeh i already have a fuji s9500 finepix but i want to be able to change lenses and the fuji is a fixed lens which doesn't allow me as much telephoto distance as i want

Which nikon canon or pentax would you recomend??

Cheers for you input

Old Nov 16, 2006, 3:37 AM   #5

I'm not sure which cameras would sort of still fall in that price range in the UK, so I'd advise to take a look at the Nikon D50 (now that the D80 is out and the D40 has been announced, might be a good time for some good sale prices there?) and the Pentax K100D, as well as the Canon EOS 350D.

The new wave of cameras - Nikon's D80, Canon's 400D and the Pentax K10D (which should be out soon) - are absolutely also worth a look, but I suspect they might all be somewhat above that price range. You mentioned though that the cost can also be a bit higher, so those are certainly also worth considering.

If you plan to start taking lots of fast-action pictures where burst speed is very important, you'd probably do well to pick Canon; if that is not going to be a priority, any other DSLR in that range is going to be just as great.

To be honest, in that price range I'd probably advise you to get one of the cameras I mentioned first, the Nikon D50, Pentax K100D or the Canon 350D (although this is an older model - out of those three, the Pentax is the newest one) and something better than the kit lens, or if you go with the standard 18-55mm kit lens, you could probably also get a 50-200mm lens in addition - if you're used to a superzoom, the relative shortness of the kit lens might be a bit restrictive at first. Actually, as you mentioned wanting more telephoto, you will want to get another lens instead of or in addition to the kit lens - I think any DSLR range will have an affordable 70-300mm lens for starters. But which lenses you'll want of course depends on your needs and budget.

If possible, I'd also advise you to go and handle the cameras in store, as ergonomics are probably going to be the one thing where you can actually feel and see the difference. See how they fit in your hand and look through the viewfinder. If two or more of the cameras seem to feel equally good, then read reviews or ask more specific questions.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:51 AM   #6

Hey,

Thanks Guys for your Reply's

Regards

Andrew
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:10 AM   #7

Wrams

The D50 and Pentax k100d are about £370 in the UK now with kit lens, so you could buy one of these then a 2nd telephoto lens as well.

both are available in Dixon's in the Mall for this price,worth getting up there and trying them out, also worth a look is the london camera exchange place in broadmead.

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:45 AM   #8

Hey thanks Mansell.

A friend has just rang me and said theyv'e got a D50 in jessops with a extra lens for £500. I'm not sure what lens it is but he said it's worth £250.00 just the lens. I'll have to find out more..........

Cheers again

wrams
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:56 AM   #9

I just went on the Jessops Website and they do have the D50 for 2 prices

Nikon D50 + 18-55 mm lens also includes the Sigma 70-300 mm lens all for £509.99

Nikon D50+ 18-55 mm lens also includes the 55-200 mm lens for £559.99

Which Kit would be better??

P.S Whats the Sigma 70-300 mm lens like??
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:01 AM   #10

They also do the: Canon EOS 400D in Silver with EF-S 18-55mm lens for £499.99

Which i think is outstanding price!!