Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:53 PM   #1

I am getting my first digital camera.... I know I know. Don't let it fool you, I am a techno nerd, a regular reader of engadget and gizmodo among others. This camera is for the occasional party, park, trips, that kind of thing. I dont need an SLR, but like I said I am a techno nerd so the more bells and whistles the better.

Size is one of my biggest concerns along with image qualtiy, thin is totally in. The camera has to be small enough for me to actully carry it and therefore use it. I have narrowed it down to the:

Sony T10
Sony T30
Sony T50
Nikon Sc7
Casio Exilim
Canon Powershot

I am wondering which I should get or if you have a better ultracompact solution. I really like the size/shape of the T10. I am open to any other suggestions you might have to any other cameras not on the list.

Please help me out and give me your suggestions. Thank you so much in advance.
jzh797s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:44 PM   #2

Powershot and Exlim include an entire series of cameras dating back years.

Casio has nothing with true optical stabilization. I find that a very good feature on a small camera. It is especially good for cameras without optical viewfinders because of the less steady hold. Casio does make a fairly small Exlim with a small optical viewfinder. It also has full manual controls if you want to use them with a good control setup. It has some neat features like MPEG4 movies with a past movie mode, three full sized flash shots in a second and a good burst mode. You might look at the Z850, but for the slimmer models I think the Sony series is better because of the stabilization.

Canon doesn't make any of the tiny folded lens models like the Sony T10. I would personally accept a slightly larger camera to get an optical viewfinder but from your list you don't seem to find that important. Some of the SD models are small but not quite as slim.

Nikon seems cagey enough about their vibration reduction that I suspect it is digital. Useless IMO except for movies. I think the Sonys you listed are the best bet since you don't already have a digital camera and the memory type isn't that big a deal.

If you like the T10 it is an excellent camera. It has a little better than average noise at ISO400 and combined with the stabilization it should be reasonably versatile. With the T50 you get a stronger flash, better battery life and bigger screen in a slightly larger camera with the same optics. Some people love the touch screen and some hate it. Steve liked the touch screen and Dave at Imaging Resource hated it. Imaging Resource says the LCD is transflective, which is what you want in bright sunlight without an optical viewfinder. Both Steve and Dave said it is good even in direct sunlight – if it is really transflective I might believe them this time.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:33 PM   #3

A couple of days ago I stumbled on a site that stored pictures taken by specific cameras. This site was searchable by camera and displayed a few pictures from the many available. I was stupid and didnt bookmark it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:44 PM   #4

http://www.pbase.com

This is the camera page: http://www.pbase.com/cameras
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5

Hey, thanks!

Anyone else? Suggestions on an ultracompact?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:52 PM   #6

Buy any of them with 7MP and up + the image stabilization
AnhNamUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:11 PM   #7

There are some horrible 7MP cameras out there. Higher MP does not mean a better IQ, just means you can blow up the image to 16x20 or higher.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote