Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:38 PM   #1

Im looking to buy this camera off ebay, i think it has everything i need as a complete amateur. but i cannot seem to find any reviews on the internet, so im asking you guys/girls what you think?
cablefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:18 PM   #2

This the camera ?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:23 PM   #3

thats the one, sorry about that. what does slr-like mean? i dont understand? is it worth going for an slr -like camera being the amateur that i am?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:25 PM   #4

Slr like, just means the styling of the body and controls are similar to a slr/dslr , as opposed to the more familiar compact digicam design.

In other words, it looks like a small slr/dslr.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:53 PM   #5

That camera was almost universally praised when it came out in early 2004.Check out the last page of Steve's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...c8080_pg6.html

In fact, it looks like it's still selling for $400 or more on Ebay. Used.

I think you can get a better camera for the same price now or not much more than $500.

Just to start with:

Kodak P880

Fuji S6000fd or S9100

Pentax K110 DLSR with kit lens.

Canon PowerShot S3 IS or S2IS

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5

They range from 6 megapixels to 9 megapixels, have optical zooms between 5X and 12X, and several of them have image stabilization.

How much do you want to spend? What do you want to use the camera for? Of course, you can get a used Olympus C-8080, if you want, but I would advise checking out some of the newer cameras, too.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:06 PM   #6

part of my art course in college we studied photography, my sony point and click has just about given up on me so i looking for a new camera. im interested in getting one that is like the manual 35mm i used in college, the type i have to set the light metre and distance (you get my drift) but im confused as to go for a dslr or a dslr-like?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:24 PM   #7

What's your budget?

You can get a number of entry level DLSR's with kit lenses for less than $650.

I like the Pentax K100 - 6 megapixels, nice big LCD, easy to use, and with image stabilization built into the body.

Among its low cost DSLR rivals are the Nikon D50 and the Canon XT.

I bought the Fuji FInePix S9100 recently. It looks a little like a DSLR and has a 28mm to 300mm zoom range. 9 megapixels. Under 500 bucks online). Lots of manual and scene options.

I would advise you to head to a camera store just to see what's available and how each camera feels in your hands. Keep in mind that some camera salesmen get bonuses or increased commissions from selling a particular brand of camera. They will understandably be biased in their recommendations for those brands.

Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:06 AM   #8

well i dont really have that much too spend thats why i was looking on ebay,some of the camera i have been watching are Canon Digital Rebel / EOS-300D OLYMPUS C-8080 Fuji FinePix S7000 they have been going for under £300 which i thought was really good value, what do you think. i just want a camera that has the manual fuctions of my old 35mm from college.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:39 AM   #9

I don't know the prices in Britain.

The original Digital Rebel was a good camera, the first "budget" DSLR,just not really very fast in continuous shooting. The 8080, we talked about before. The S7000 I used to own - good camera. If you can afford to wait, how about the Fuji S6000fd - lots of manual controls, 10.7X optical zoom, manual focus ring, face detection, good low light performance. Here in the US you can get it for less than $400 online and there is a $50 rebate till the end of January.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:14 AM   #10

that sounds good. do you think these camers are what im looking for? as far as manual fuctions? can you suggest anywhere else to buy a camera from here in the uk apart from ebay?