Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:05 AM   #1

For a trip overseas, I need to purchase a small camera by Tuesday 11/21 at noon. I want an ultracompact. I am an amateur photograph with more interest in capturing and framing the shot than anything else. I have owned a variety of point and shoot and SLRs through the years. With digital non-SLRs, my beef is lag between pushing the button and capturing the picture. I'm thinking of a Canon SD Digital Elph. The choices I have found that are available locally are an SD550, SD600, SD630, or SD800IS. The 550 is a sweet price point and seems like a good camera. However, my second beef is that I really, really like a wide angle lens---not essential, but I DO like it. So the 800IS would seem to be my camera. My concern is that it is a brand new camera with a new processor. and some of the user reviews have been less than stellar. Do you think it would be a mistake to buy that camera? I LOVE my Nikon D50 SLR. But it is too big to carry with me. I need a small camera. Thanks for your help.
katielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:33 AM   #2

I don't really see the price difference when comparing the 800 to the 700. Keep it in mind if price is a factor.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:36 AM   #3

No 700s available locally, so that isn't really an option.

Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:02 PM   #4

Hi, I have the SD500 and a Pentax K100D. I really like the small size of the elf. It slips in to my pocket any where any time. Takes very good pictures. Not the fastest, in taking bursts (a whale jumping in Alaska).

Remember, that for wide angle, you can stitch together several images into a panaroma. That works VERYwell, and the software comes with the camera to process the shots on a PC.

If you do not want to lug an SLR this would seem to be a very good choice - the Canon 800IS.

One other thing - I really like having the image stablization on my Pentax, something that my Canon lacks. I have lost many great shots on the elf due to shake, and save countless others on my Pentax with the shake reduction. So - I am a beliver in image stablization on all cameras.

Also, I picked up an extra 2 batteries (1 in the camera, 1 in the charger, and one in my pocket). I also have a number of 2GB SD cards, since I usually do not carry a laptop to store everything on. You can get 2GB SD cards mail order from Frys.com for about $30 each - 133x or 150x speed.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:07 AM   #5

Hi there,

I'm basically facing the same dilemma myself! I'll just share with you my thoughts on which camera to buy. First of all, does it have to be a Canon?

I'm trying to choose between 3 cameras; Sony's DSC W100, Panasonic's Lumix DMC FX50 and of course, the Canon you mentioned. While the Canon ticked all the right boxes for me, there was one flaw that I really couldn't get out of my mind: the 'flap'/door that covers the AC/AV port.. it's just so fragile that I might just snap it off!

An alternative would be too charge the battery outside the camera all the time and get a card reader so that we can avoid using that 'flap', but that's taking things a bit too far.

The 'flap' on the Sony is less fragile though, and to me it's an ok alternative. Very compact, pretty good-looking and it's got 8.1 Megapixels.

The Panasonic is VERY nicely built, it's got 7.1 Megapixels, that fancy Optical Image Stabilizer thingy and a wide angle lens. BUT.. it doesn't have an optical viewfinder.
red_herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:50 PM   #6

Hi,

Just wondering. Do these cameras really have Optical view finders
or they are just Eye-Level view of the scene captured by the sensor.

I dont think its a real TTL viewfinder like in DSLRs ?

--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:51 PM   #7

Quote:
the 'flap'/door that covers the AC/AV port.. it's just so fragile that I might just snap it off!
The SD500 suffers from the same flap/door design - I thought about it also, however it has not been a problem - I do admit being just a bet careful - but not that much so when swapping the SD card and battery. I wish that they had a different design - but alas they do not - it is not that big of a deal breaker.

Irregardless of what camera you wind up with - it should be something that your happy with using and takes good pictures of your trip.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 5:58 PM   #8

I bought the SD800 this weekend. So far, just playing around, I like it a lot. I have shot some low light pictures without the flash that make me very happy. The IS is terrific. I bought the SD400 for my son (age 19 and careful) for Christmas, then I used it for a while. I didn't think the door was that big of a deal. The viewfinder is not an SLR viewfinder, but it nice to have it when lighting conditions make it difficult to use the screen and when you want to conserve battery by turning off the screen.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:49 PM   #9

gaggu wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Just wondering. Do these cameras really have Optical view finders
or they are just Eye-Level view of the scene captured by the sensor.

I dont think its a real TTL viewfinder like in DSLRs ?

--
Gaggu
That's a good question Gaggu! I'm a camera novice myself... I've always considered the things to be 'optical viewfinders' because, well, they're optical and they do help finding the view :?Do let me know what's the accurate term!
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:54 PM   #10

Nice one katie!

Do let us see some sample shots when you have the time.. maybe a few scenery shots from your overseas trip? Have a good trip!