Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:23 PM   #1

I curently own a olympus c4040z. I love how it takes great photos in the dark, but I am just looking for an upgrade and something that has more than 3x zoom and takes a better action photo. The specs would be a midsize point and shoot camera not the ultra small ones with a decent ammount of pixels and at least 4x zoom.

the cameras I have looked at so far are the cannon a640 and a710. From other reviews it seems like the 640 israted at taking better photos but has anyone compared to two head to head. I do like the 6x zoom on the 710. Steve's has not reviewed the g7 yet and I am wondering if it is worth the price difference over the other two.

Does anyone know any other brands that offer better camera for the money than the cannons.I have also looked at a few of the supper zoom cameraslike the s3 and the sonyh5, I am woried about the picture quality of these cameras. Any help would be appreated. I am leaning toward the a710.
blackdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:20 PM   #2

look no further. pick up a fujifilm: f20 or even f30 if you prefer having some manual controls on your cam.
no p&s available today compares to these two.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:33 PM   #3

If you want to get good low light performance and more than a 3x zoom, you should take a look at the Fuji S5200, S6000, and S9000. That takes you out of the compact realm, but maybe that doesn't really matter to you. The only other current compact Fuji model with more than a 3x zoom is the V10 (3.6x).

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:07 PM   #4

I think you can think of the G7 as an A710 with a hotshoe, better materials, and ISO dial. If you're not using an external flash then I would probably stick with the A710. As for the A640 has the swivel screen and is cheaper. The A710 has the IS and longer zoom. It's your choice. I would, IMHO, would choose the Canon's over the Fuji's unless you shoot in mostly low light and without a flash.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5

Hi there,

Just wanted to add my thoughts on Canon's G7. There I was, thinking that this would be the best camera for me (without having to cross the line into DSLR territory), but when I handled it, I have to say that I felt a bit let down.

My comments will focus on the camera body, not the quality of the images that it can take. To say that it's bulky would not be wrong.. this thing is quite meaty! That in itself isn't the problem; to me, it's just not comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.

It's got a few buttons that stick out on the right-hand side that contributed to my discomfort. Do you get annoyed when you get a lot of fingerprints on the screen of your mobile phone? I got plenty of oily handmarks on the camera body... and this was when I held it in an air-conditioned shopping mall. And no.. I'm not the nervy type!

The build quality is fantastic though... it's pretty solid! Having the hotshoe and the ability to accept conversion lenses is a major plus in my book. Having said that, if you had to choose between the G7 and the A640, it would seem to me that the latter seems to be the better all-rounder.

It's more compact, lighter, has that swivel screen, will accept conversion lenses and a slave flash (not quite as pro-looking as a proper flash though!) and cheaper to boot!

Hope this helps!
red_herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:13 PM   #6

I appreate the comment and am still wondering if any one has compared the picture quality Between the 3 cannon models. It seems fuji only has the supper zoom camera and the standard 3x zoom. I've looked at the nikon l5 and the kodak c875, but the reviews don't seem real good. I'm just looking for something that takes great photos that has some more zoom.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:22 AM   #7

Photo quality will sometimes be a personal preference. The pics off of the A640, A710, and the G7 will be identical to the average person. Not until you zoom in hard or try them in multiple environments will you see the small difference.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:20 PM   #8

Thanks for the information. I do care about the zoomed in photo quality. I was really leaning toward the a710is but I saw a indoor photo ofa tape measure and the a640 photo could read the tape numbers andthe a710 could not. I guess I am just torn on the issue. I like the fact of the extra zoom for sports photos (examples, Waterskiing, rock climbing etc...) but have not been impressed with the 2d look of alot of the outdoor pictures I've taken with my c4040z. I guess the more I read the more torn I become.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:36 AM   #9

Your current feelings of mild confusion with the selection process, is very understandable. I have also owned a C-4040, so I have some appreciation for your feelings. Perhaps it might be wise to set-up some decision points:

How much zoom do you really desire?

Do you need IS?

Is camera size a factor?

How much low light level shooting capability do I need?

Questions such as those will make the choice issue a bit easier. However, keep in mind that as the zoom increases, IS becomes more important and zoom is somewhat addictive, at least in my experience. At the beginning you find how nice it is to zoom in on something and you want a bit more, etc.

In my experience, I have found the Sony H-5 to be, at least for me, an ideal camera. It can handle my ocassional low light level shooting needs, it is extremely sharp when zoomed, and after years of ignoring IS, I have found that it really do make quite a measurable difference in my photos.

Here is a low light level, on stage shot, taken handheldwithout flash and zoomed out a lot.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:28 PM   #10

The Canon 2is is available at buydig.com for $268 delivered.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote