Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:55 PM   #11

casio dosn't have real immage stabilizer , there are two type of antishake in casio

-Aitishake-DSP this is for VDO mode "ONLY",this isnot real stabilizer but it is software

-Anti Shake Best Shot this just rise ISO level high so you can use high speed shuter but it make lot of noise in picture

JohnKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:58 PM   #12

lisas wrote:
Quote:
However I'm going to purchase a p&s and am considering thePanasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5.I was wondering if anybody here has used this camera. If so, I would like to know how well they shoot indoors without flash, at night and macro. Do you know where I can find photos on the net taken in these conditions?

The camera has 6x optic zoom -at this zoom canit produce pics without motion blur?

Also, this camera doesn't have shutter & aperture priority & manual mode but has image stabilization. Does this really help? How much do you think that it affects image quality?
The only non-dslrdigicam that does well in lowlight non-flash is the fuji10/11/30/31. Using high zoom in lowlight exacerbates the problem. Image stabilization helps with camera shake at slow shutter speeds but not with subject motion blur, which requires the higher shutter speeds achievable with the fuji super sensor. Check-out the fuji forum here and at dpreview.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:21 PM   #13

Thank you so much for takng the time to reply.

The thing that makes me a bit nervous about the fuji is that I read in some reviews that it tends to overexpose pics in sunny conditios and that you have to tweak 'em later on on the pc to fix the problem. So now I'm just thinking if it's worth sacrificing outdoor shots.

I also found the 6x zoom on the panasonic lumix dmc-lz5 to be very attractive, but if you can't get clear shots at that zoom, there's really no point in buying it.

Iam also looking at the Casio Exilim EX-Z600. Have any of you used this camera? If so what so isthe macro mode any good?

Again, thank you for your time.

lisas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:29 PM   #14

Thank you for your reply JohnKid,

I wonder whythey put on fancy names than just say that it hasISo 1000 or whatever it is.. Thank you for the tip.

I was also loking at the EX-Z600. There are mixed reviews about the picture quality, Have any of you had any experience with this camera, how does it shoot indoors with natural light?

If you were to compare EX-Z600 with EX-Z70, which one would you prefer and why?

Thank you for your time.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:32 PM   #15

Hellorinniethehun,

Thank you for replying. The link you provided is very useful.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:46 PM   #16

Thank you both for replying,

Bootneck3:

Today, a salesrep. told me that image stabilization doesn't make that much of a difference unlessthe zoom isat least10x or 12x. This got me a bit confused as to whether it really mkes a difference inimage quality (since the dmc-lz5 is 6x)or if it's just a markating device so that got me a bit confused.

fmoore:

I checked out the fuji F20 and the thing hat makes me a bit nervous about the fuji is that the reviewsstated that ithas a tendency to overexpose in situations that have good light and that you have to later tweak them on the pc to fix this problem. I'm just thinking if it's worth it you know?

I find the 6x zoom on this camera to be a very attractive feature, but what's the point of that ifyou can'tget clear images right?

Have any of you shot any indoorpics without flash onthe dmc-lz5? Andis the macro mode any good?

Again, thank you for your time.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Today, a salesrep. told me that image stabilization doesn't make that much of a difference unlessthe zoom isat least10x or 12x. This got me a bit confused as to whether it really mkes a difference inimage quality (since the dmc-lz5 is 6x)or if it's just a markating device so that got me a bit confused.
For anyone with shaky hands (read "me") it makes one h-ell of a difference!

Exposures that would have been marginal or discarded come up sharp and crystal clear -- and I don't mean just at 10-12x.

When sales reps tell you things like this, look for what they're trying to push out the door.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:39 AM   #18

You won't have to tweak the Fuji outdoor shots afterwards if you just use -1/3 EV when using multi-metering in bright sunlight. Or just use spot metering. If you're used to DSLR controls, I don't think you'll have a problem with it. Though you'd likely prefer the F30.

For the situations you mentioned the F20/F30 does seem like the best choice. Though it's still not going to be close to a DSLR. It's asking alot of a point and shoot to handle low light without a flash.

Concerts can be very dark even for a DSLR, and you won't be able to shoot at a fast enough speed there to avoid motion blur. Plus you won't have enough zoom most of the time anyway. Only with good stage lighting, you might get some decent shots from up close. But this is something that can be a challenge at times even for a DSLR.

As for the indoor macro shots, you can probably do them without a flash, but a tripod (small tabletop version would do) would still help alot.

The high ISO capabilities of the Fujis are a bit better than other point and shoots, and that can mean you might get away without a tripod in some situations, or might get some shots indoors without flash, or might get faster shutters to stop action. But very low light, low light with moving subjects, or handheld macro shots without added light are situations where a couple of extra stops simply isn't enough. A stop or two of added higher ISO ability isn't going to entirely replace the flash and the tripod in situations which normal require them.

As for the Panasonic, why are you worried about clear shots? If you are worried about the lens, you could look at one of the other Panasonic models which have Leica lenses (like the TZ1, FX01, or FZ7). But none of these are good in low light wihtout flash. But I think the Panasonics are the only ones available in that price range with stabilization.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:45 AM   #19
Administrator

Moderator Note:

Multiple threads from the Canon, Fuji, Kodak, Casio, and What Camera Should I Buy Forums were merged into this one thread.

We ask that users post What Camera Should I Buy Questions in the What Camera Should I Buy Forum

If you missed it, please see the subject line of the first three forums in the list here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/

I know you're trying to get feedback from users.

But, we ask that others follow this policy here (pose questions related to What Camera they should buy in the first forum), since this is a frequently asked question and we're trying to limit responses to one place so that these questions don't clog up the other forums (which members complained about until we added a forum for this purpose).

So, please use the forum designed for this purpose.

Thanks.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:36 PM   #20

" I checked out the fuji F20 and the thing hat makes me a bit nervous about the fuji is that the reviewsstated that ithas a tendency to overexpose in situations that have good light and that you have to later tweak them on the pc to fix this problem."

lisa,

You came here looking to spend $200 on a camera to take pics in the dark, with no flash. Now you're concerned about good light conditions? And what reviews said the F20 has a tendency to overexpose? I was only able to find one professional review, and I posted the link to it...I don't remember that one saying the F20 had a tendency to overexpose anything.

You've received a lot of good advice from this forum, so far...why don't you take it?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote