Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:28 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm a serious amatuer photographer and usually use my film Sigma SLR.

I'm looking for a digital point&shoot for around 200$. I'll be using this camera to:

1-Shoot at concerts -very dark, night photos, macro photography, landscapes

2-Shoot pics of 5-12 inch models which I'll place in my portfolio. I'm looking for a camera that can shoot clear pics indoors WITHOUT a flash (The sharp shadows caused by the flash don't look too good). And I don't want to lug around a tripod wherever I go.

Does anti-shake ( image stabilization) really make a difference? Is it better to have a camera that has this feature or one that has a manual mode so that you can control the shutter speed and aperture to produce images that don't have that motion blur?

So i've narrowed it down to the following cameras:

1-Casio Exilim EX-Z70

2-Fujifilm F20

3-Kodak EasyShare C875

4-Canon PowerShotA540 - doesn't have antishake, but it has manual controls

5-Canon PowerShot SD600 6mp - doesn't have antishake or manual controls

6-Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5S

Have any of you used these cameras? Or would you suggest another?

Thank you for your time.

lisas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:41 PM   #2

Hi,

However I'm going to purchase a p&s & was wondering if anybody here has used the powershot A540 & SD600. If so, I would like to know how well they shoot indoors without flash and at night. Do you know where I can find photos on the net taken in these conditions?

Also, these cameras don't have the "image stabilization" feature. How much do you think that it affects image quality?

Thank you

Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:49 PM   #3

Hi,

However I'm going to purchase a p&s and am consideringthe Casio Exilim EX-Z70. I was wondering if anybody here has used this camera. If so, I would like to know how well they shoot indoors without flash and at night. Do you know where I can find photos on the net taken in these conditions?

Also, this camera doesn't have shutter & aperturepriority & manual modebut hasimage stabilization. Does this really help?How much do you think that it affects image quality?

Thank you
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:54 PM   #4

Hi,

However I'm going to purchase a p&s and am considering theFujifilmF20I was wondering if anybody here has used this camera. If so, I would like to know how well they shoot indoors without flash and at night. Do you know where I can find photos on the net taken in these conditions?

Also, this camera doesn't have manual mode but has image stabilization. Does this really help? How much do you think that it affects image quality?

Thank you
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:00 PM   #5

Hi,

However I'm going to purchase a p&s and am considering theKodak EasyShare c875.I was wondering if anybody here has used this camera. If so, I would like to know how well they shoot indoors without flash, at night, & at macro mode. Do you know where I can find photos on the net taken in these conditions?

Also, this camera doesn't have image stabilization but does have shutter & aperture priority & manual mode. Does this really help? How much do you think that it affects image quality?

Thank you
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:02 PM   #6

Hi,

However I'm going to purchase a p&s and am considering thePanasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5.I was wondering if anybody here has used this camera. If so, I would like to know how well they shoot indoors without flash, at night and macro. Do you know where I can find photos on the net taken in these conditions?

The camera has 6x optic zoom -at this zoom canit produce pics without motion blur?

Also, this camera doesn't have shutter & aperture priority & manual mode but has image stabilization. Does this really help? How much do you think that it affects image quality?

Thank you

Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:18 PM   #7

Check out www.dpreview.com and read the full review on the FZ5. You will see that it has full manual functions except for manual focussing.

I would never buy another camera without image stabilization...it is excellent!

Low light - indoor - no flash...no way without the noise experienced by most users of any digicam
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:33 PM   #8

from what i read, the best low light is Fuji, there is nothing else.
k1mch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:47 PM   #9

lisas,

I think you might be asking a lot from a $200 point and shoot, but if I had to pick one from your list, it would definitely by the F20. If you can squeeze a couple more dollars from your budget, the F30 brings you up to ISO 3200, with a higher resolution LCD, and aperture and shutter priority settings.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:52 PM   #10

You get around...

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...epix_f20_4.php

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote