Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:17 AM   #1

Hello All....

This is my 1st post and need some basic advice ... I'm in the process of going thru all the posts here..please be patient if I ask something dumb!:?

A little background:

My husband and I have had film slr's (Minolta SRT 101's, 102's..etc) and enjoyed taking decent pics for many yrs. He has now passed and I don't have the camera's any longer.

I have a Fujifinepix S5000 (teleconverter and WA too) which does take "Good" sometimes "Great"pics. I certainly missed my slr in Alaska last year..

I miss the slr lens options and enjoy and also getting back into taking wildlife , landscape, fireworks and detailed (Disney..a favorite place)pics and now, since retirement, do plan to travel a lot more and am looking to purchase a dslr and leaning towards a Nikon (D80-which seems heavy) vs. xxxxx.

So... I started doing some homework and for the 1st time in a long time, went to a camera store to discuss Nikon options (knowing there is a D40 coming). The salesman didn't want to talk Nikon..only the new Sony A-100.

Supposedly the major difference/plus is stabilization "in" the "camera", not the "lenses".

I'd like your opinions on this issue, camera vs. lens stabilizationand do you think Nikon is the way to go?

Thanks in advance for your input !!:G
senecabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:34 AM   #2

I have the KM-5D (father of Sony A-100) and really like the Anti-Shake on body. All my cheap lenses (and some prime) are now VR !!!, for no extra $$$.

Of course Sony does not have the expertise that Nikon or Canon have on D-SLR, but they have the expertise from Konica-Minolta (at least the technology).

Debating between Nikon or Canon is not a good idea on a forum, there are a lot of people loving each brand. It is up to you.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Debating between Nikon or Canon is not a good idea on a forum, there are a lot of people loving each brand.

Thanks for helping this "newbie" !!:G

Sorry...I didn't want to/don't mean tostart a war..I'll take it back.
senecabeach is offline   Reply With Quote