Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:58 AM   #1

Could you recommend a good digital camera to take online auction photos, I am not really a photography expert, so I need something not too complicated, and also that can take good pictures indoors with no natural light, because the room I use to take the photos in my shop has no windows, could you also advise of main issues regarding online auction pictures.
Thanks
diprado45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:16 AM   #2
Administrator

You will want good lighting and a tripod or suitable substitute.

A camera with Aperture Priority can also help out, since you can use a smaller aperture for greater depth of field.

My favorite macro cameras are the swivel bodied Coolpix models like the Coolpix 990, 995, and 4500. These are all discontinued now, but available on the used market. They can all fill the frame with an object around 2/3" across with virtually no distortion (since the macro "sweet spot" is at around half zoom, and their Macro Icons even change color letting you know when your zoom amount is just right). They also have Aperture Priority to help out with Depth of Field.

"Canned" lighting solutions:

http://www.clouddome.com/

Check your kitchen, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:04 AM   #3

Thank You.
I cecked the Coolpix models. Do you know of something more compact and small as sometimes I need to go to people houses to take pictures of items.

Thanks
diprado45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:17 AM   #4
Administrator

Most Digital Cameras do a fair job at closeups. It depends on what you're taking photos of.

The problem with most is that you need to be at their extreme zoom settings (full wide angle zoom position with most) to get as close. That can mean barrel distortion and difficulty with lighting casting shadows.

So, for jewelry or smaller subjects, I'd suggest one of the swivel bodied Nikon models. Most others can do OK with most subjects, depending on your expectations of quality.

Lighting is going to be your biggest problem so that you don't get unwanted reflections from trying to use a flash. So, a good tripod and diffused lighting is suggested.

Depending on the subject, it's also a good idea to use a model with Aperture Priority. That way, you can select a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) so that more of the subject is in focus. Without that ability, depending on your subject, you may have part of the subject sharp, and the part further away from the camera's lens blurry/out of focus).

Using smaller aperture for greater depth of field will also slow down your shutter speeds. That's one reason a tripod is a must for closeups in less than optimum lighting.

If you'd rather have a current model camera, I'd look at our Best Cameras List and make sure to read the review conclusions (last page before the sample images in each model's review here).

Most could probably do OK if you have good lighting and a tripod for auction type images, since you could use an editor to crop the images some if they were not able to fill the frame with a smaller subject.

Steve usually includes a closeup (using flash) in some of sample images, too (and comments on the flash at closer ranges in the review conclusion sections). But, for best results, you'll want to forget the flash and use a tripod, especially for reflective subjects.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote