Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:00 AM   #1

Code:
I am going in for an ultra-zoom camera at about $250-$300 and the Fuji S5200 and Canon S2 IS seem to be the best choices available. Now, what I gather from reviews of the cameras is that the Fuji takes great low-light photos due to higher ISOs performance, but its auto settings(even in brightly lit settings) use too high ISO's giving them a grainy look sometimes. I suppose that would make the Canon a better auto-setting camera. Although, I am willing to experiment with the manual settings when I get the camera, a good point and shoot performance never harms. So, does this make any one of them an obvious choice.   

Does the IS add a lot at high zoom or could using high ISO compensate for it?  Also, what would be natural settings in the Canon S2 IS that give results similar to high ISOs of Fujis for NIGHT photos. 

Do we really need ISOs 400 or higher for usual night photos/ low light photos.  

I am actually a beginner at manual settings which explains the confusions. Any inputs would be highly appreciated.  

Thanks,
Raj
pushpraj3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:08 PM   #2

raj,

Don't know what reviews you're referring to regarding the S5200's use of high ISO on auto setting in bright light. I have the S5100, and the camera normally selects ISO 64 in brightly lit settings. Don't know why the S5200 would be any different. You can override the ISO # on most of the mode settings on the S5200. The S2 IS can't do anything about the noise it produces...no matter what setting you select.

Yes, you really need ISO's higher than 400 for dimly lit available light photography.

IS can only help you by reducing camera shake...it cannot do anything to reduce blurring caused by subject movement.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:35 PM   #3

I have the S5200. It is better than most of its superzoom rivals. It has ISO settings of up to 1600, though I would use that setting only in an emergency. I think picture quality is quite good up to ISO 400. ISO 800 is ok, but ... Yesterday, I took pictures at a college soccer game on a dimly lit field. The S5200 wasn't enough. Maybe only an expensive DSLR with an even more expensive prime lens or bright zoom lens would have been enough. I had the S5100 and it was a very good camera though the S5200 is much better in lowlight.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:20 PM   #4

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I have the S5200. It is better than most of its superzoom rivals.
Thanks, Hun and Robbo... By the way, Robbo. You have the cam, so could you comment on the quality of pics from the S5200 in daylight/normal light, specially in Auto Setting. It would be great if you have some links to photos from the camera.
pushpraj3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:25 AM   #5

The Canon has better overall pic quality in normal to bright light. The Fuji does better in low light (without using the flash).
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:45 PM   #6

I have an s5200 right now and am working towards a dslr. The camera is great, the manual settings are great, you can change shutter speed and iso very easily. At ISO 800 it keeps a pretty good photo quality however, if you want clear pictures I would avoid 1600. I use my camera at night and day and do a lot of car photography.

I'm far from a professional photographer but here you go.
Attached Images

rockstarb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:49 PM   #7

Here's one up close.
Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:51 PM   #8

And daylight......like I said I am no way near pro, but these should help you out.
Attached Images