Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:01 AM   #1

i have no idea what camera i need ??

new to the hobby!!( and still not sure on you guys camera talk, so talk baby to me LOL)but getting a little bit addicted and finding my old PENTAX MX, limitations are starting to get to me.

i love my Pentax in outdoor shots.

i love my photos when taken outdoors but i rarely get nice indoor shots and never any action shots ( i am a horse show mom so that important to me). and i did play a lot with the settings with no luck got them to be better but not as nice as i'd like. the indoors shots are either blurry or orange. action are all blurry. and to take them i have to guess where the subject ( horse hihihi ) will be and hope i was correct or i just get the tail.

what i am looking for is a camera with :

easy to use but with the right toys for me to learn on to get better ( taking classes after chrismas )

long battery life

great, beautiful outdoor shots

decent indoor and action shot , i don't mind playing with the camera to get them but i do want at least some to turn out good.

easy to use zoom and focus . i have no patience for hard to use zoom and focus. i think i was spoiled with my camera.

i mostly take photos of my kids and horses. so i probably don't need a top of the line camera. but i would still like to grow with my camera, as i don't like to replace things i love.

i have to admit the only one i have looked at is the Pentax SLR, just because i love my pentaxjust wish it was better. i am just afraid it will be to much for me to handle YIKES!! it looks so professional

any info would be appreciated. i have no make/model preference just looking for a nice camera under 1000$ ( LOL just remember no fancy camrea talk, i won't understand hihihihi)

thank again

julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:14 AM   #2

Sounds to me with horse shots,kids and indoor shots one of the superzooms would suit, the three here are:

Sony H2 orH5, Canon S3 and Panasonic F7 or F50

My pick here would be the Sony H2 or H5for better inlow light and sharp Carl Zeiss lens.

Good luck with your decision.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3

Normally I would say that an ultrazoom would be a good way for you to go, especially with the outdoor shots. The ultrazooms have a fixed lens, which would be an advantage for the dusty world of horses and horse shows.

However,your indoor actionshotscan be a problem. In order to get thehorse's action stopped, you need a fast shutter speed.The only way to get that with an ultrazoom is by changing the ISO settingto something fairly high, and then you introducenoise. The H5 looks like it handles low light very well, andwould behigh on myshort list (I like the color of the sample pictures, but that's my personal preference).If you have a dSLR, you can get a "fast" lens - one thathas a bigger openingthat will let in more light - than what any of the ultrazooms can. Also, thesensors on the dSLRs are larger so you can choose higher ISOs (sensor is more sensitive to light) without as much noise/loss of detail due to anti-noise software.

The funny color cast can be dealt with by using the custom White Balance setting, something that is found on better ultrazooms and all dSLRs. Make sure whatever camera you get has this feature!

If you do decide to get a dSLR, don't be intimidated by them. I've handed my Pentax dSLR to my husband who has never owned a camera, and he's done really well with it. The camera has auto settings for people who don't want to fiddle with things, though the zoom is mechanical. I prefer a mechanical zoom, it's easy to get exactly what you want (there are ultrazooms that have them also).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:21 PM   #4

For your purposes, I would definitely go with a DSLR if I could budget for it. If you pair it up with a decent 28-200mm or 28-300mm lens, that would be just as convenient as an ultrazoom but you'd do much better in low light.

I don't have any specific suggestions of what model to buy, but I'd look at cameras that have really fast and accurate auto focus, and can take decently fast continuous shots without filling up the buffer too quickly. Continuous (burst) shooting is the key to getting that perfect action shot, assuming the focus is good. I'm looking at a Pentax K100d for myself, but with it's limited buffer I'm not sure it would be ideal for your action photography. If you think you could make do with a 5 shot burst though, then it's probably the best deal you'll find. I'd even suggest going with the K110d to save $100, but you might like the K100d's stabilizer for indoor shots. With the anti-shake, you can use pretty low shutter speeds to get better exposures without blurring the shot.

DSLRs definitely have the advantage for indoor photography if you don't like to use a flash. And if you don't mind doing a little work on the computer afterwards, you can take your photos in RAW mode. RAW photos take up a lot more file space, but if you screw up the white balance or underexpose, they clean up extremely well. Ideally you'd use a more recent version of Photoshop to process these, but even the freeware program Picasa can do a decent job (assuming it supports that specific format). I at least know it works with the Pentax RAWs.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:40 PM   #5

I'd get the Pentax K100D (and I did). It has good low light performance, especially with the anti-shake turned on. With the kit lens it's @$700. If you can stretch your budget a little then get the body only and the Tamron 18-200 lens. You'll probably never need to change lenses so you won't have to worry about dust and the picture quality is as good or better as with the kit lens.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:56 PM   #6

thank everybody at least i have somwhere to start
Old Nov 21, 2006, 2:13 PM   #7

i went window shopping last night.

i was still really intimidated by the RSL"s . so at first i went looking for smaller ones not really finding any i liked.

but then some guy that was trying out the rebel, put it on the counter. so i asked if i could try it.

wow !!! i was impressed so i asked to try the Pentax ( i think it was the k100d) i had fun . i was taking picture of printers and stuff.

other that finding it heavy and BIG. it seemed like i had been using it for a long time. the menu is actually a lot like my Pentax so that may have helped. stuff like the white balance .... all have the same little things to represent them :-).

i think I'll get used to the size and weight of it . i was really happy when i checked the forum today to see most of you recommended the one i kinda picked for myself

is the lens that come with it good enough for me... do you think !!! in my experience in other things the stuff that come with something are usually just to start you with .. is IT the same with camera's

the store where i was has 2 lenses that came with the camera within my price range
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:12 PM   #8

The lens that comes as part of the K100D kit isn't bad at all - one of the better "kit" lenses. It's well worth the little it costs. It will do fine for outdoors and general photography, though you might find it a bit short for large horseshow rings. Then you might want something like the DA 50-200 or the Tamron 18-200 lens. I personally have both the kit and the DA 50-200 lenses and use them quite a bit (I have a K100D also). For your indoor shots of horse shows, you will probably want something much faster. There are a number of different varieties of 50mm lenses, either f1.4 or 1.7 (the smaller the f number, the faster the lens is) that are very sharp and would be nice for shows where you can get fairly close to the action. I say varieties because you can get the same lens with or without autofocus and with or without auto exposure capability (I'm using manual lenses on my K100D thatI bought 25 years ago). Many of the older, more basic lenses can be purchased pretty inexpensively on ebay, at photoshows or in pawn shops.

Do you ever go to indoor horseshows where you are sitting in bleachers a fairly long way away from the action? In this case, you'd probably want a longer (and probably faster)lens, and you'll end up using higher ISOs to get the fastest shutter speed possible. My recommendation is to get the kit lens first and play with it. See what it's short-comings are and then decide basedon that what other lens you need(you will more than likely want something longer and/or faster) after you have some experience. The folks on the Pentax SLR section of this board are friendly and more than willing to answer questions/give their advice.

As you've already discovered,photography does take some practice, but that's half the fun of it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:18 PM   #9

From everything I've seen and read, the 18-55mm kit lens with the K100d is a good deal.

You can get the camera with the lens for $520 after mail in rebate at buydig.com or beach camera (beachcamera.com ?), and shipping is free if you don't mind waiting a bit.

I'm actually waiting to see if the price drops any more with the K10 just released, and perhaps they'll have a special on Thanksgiving or the day after.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:05 AM   #10

i only go to one indoor show!!! and even my camera did well there as it's lit up like a baseball field. and i can get very close to the action. so a super zoom might not be necessary.

The Pentax i was looking at included a 18-55mm and 50-200mm lens. it was in the 800$ range. since i was just window shopping did not pay attention to the exact price. those lens would be comparable to what??? a 12x zoom in a point and shoot.

is cleaning the whatever it's called that you have to clean very hard and how often does it have to be done?