Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1

High people, as the title says i'm going to be upgrading to a DSLR some time after christmas my price range is no more then £500, i'm thinking of getting the NIKON D70 would i be making the right choice for that price range?

Help will be most appreciated:-)

Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2

You can't go wrong with any of the major brand DSLRs these days. Leave you self some budget for some good lenses though!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:51 AM   #3

I just bought a used D70 that came with nothing -- no lens, CF card, etc. It will be fun building up the system to my specifications (and within the confines of my budget!).

I was impressed with pictures I have seen on the web taken with the D70 and D50 (which I think uses the same sensor). I am even more impressed with the way this camera feels and handles, and some of the neat tricks it can do.

Another user of this message board said that in a given class of cameras, the worst can do 90% of what the best can do. Therefore, you can't pick a loser, so you're that far ahead before you even start looking. Given the incredible number of features and versatility of the D70, I would have to say that it is at or near the top of its class.

As for me, I just got my memory card today and now I'm counting the hours and minutes until my next paycheck so I can get a lens and start taking pictures. Fun times lie ahead! Good luck.
jbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:54 AM   #4

The best thing to do is head for a store and handle all the dSLRs in your price range. They will all take great pictures, but there are size and weight differences, as well as control layout differences. One could easily feel more comfortable to you (I'm a small person who hikes so size and weight are a big thing for me, others think the camera I prefer is too small). Remember - the best camera in the world won't take good pictures if you hate carrying/using it and leave it at home all the time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:41 PM   #5

haha i Know what you mean. I take mine everywhere more or less:lol:I handled the D70 last night and couldn't believe how light it was,It comes with an 18-55mm lens and costs £499. as soon as my tax return comes through i'm going straight for it

Either that or look at some used cameras, Does anyone know the best place to look for used cameras?

Thanks for the help

-Dale-
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:00 PM   #6

Redsquare wrote:
Quote:
I handled the D70 last night and couldn't believe how light it was,It comes with an 18-55mm lens and costs £499. as soon as my tax return comes through i'm going straight for it

-Dale-
Dale

You've been offered a (new?) D70 with an 18-55mm lens for £499?

For that money, you can get (used) the upgraded D70, ie the D70s with the 18-70mm lens (one of the best kit lenses on the market).

The D70s was a considerable improvement on the D70. It does have some of the D70 minus points, eg the limited ISO range (200 to a poor 1600), but if you work around that, it is a lovely camera to use.

Some dealers may still have the D70s in stock, or else you need to check out the s/h market.
alec w is offline   Reply With Quote