Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:35 PM   #1

hi, i am new so hello.

i am really stuck choosing a digital camera

my main requirement is that it has to be capable of using a 4gb pro duo memory card as i am stuck with three of these!

because of this i have been looking at the sony t10 or the sony s600 both of which i am told accept 4gb

my main usage will be using it to take movies (and a few pics) at gigs, concerts and festivals. therefore i need it to take good shots and movies in low light, from a distace and also it has to have good audio.

i have found the t10 for £200 and the s600 for £100 so please bare in mind one is double the price of the other!

any suggestions guys and gals???

many thanks

wigwam
wigwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:55 AM   #2

Your not stuck. Memory is cheap and you can find 1GB SD cards for $20. If you want the best movie mode then look at the Canon's.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3

BUT I HAVE THREE 4GB CRADS WHICH COST £60 EACH, I HAVE TO USE THEM OR JUST WASTE £180!!!

please could advise which would be better value for money out of the two?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:25 PM   #4

wigwam,

For your intended purpose, the S600 would seem to be the better choice...this is not to say that I think it will provide great pics or video in a dimly lit concert hall, because I don't think it will. However, if these were the only two cameras on the planet, the S600 would be the obvious choice, because it has a faster lens, more versatile video, an optical viewfinder, a wider angle lens, it runs on AA batteries, and since it has one less MP, it will probably exhibit less noise than the T10.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:19 PM   #5

For your purposes the T10 has the faster lens. You are likely to be zoomed for concert photos and f4.4 at full telephoto is faster than the f5.1 on the S600. For general photography you need more shutter speed when zoomed and the T10 will give you a little more.

An optical viewfinder does have a little advantage in steadying a shot but you are likely to be holding the camera over your head to get a view clear of the crowd anyway. And for that the optical image stabilization and wide LCD viewing angle on the T10 would be an advantage.

You aren't going to be able to get shots of people jumping around on the stage with either camera. But shooting in burst mode with stabilization you should be able to hit moments of null movement and get some decent stills. Movie mode on the T10 is reported to be excellent and the stabilization helps a lot – especially zoomed out holding it over your head.

I think the T10 is the better choice for you. Reviews say the noise is pretty good at ISO400 and deteriorates after that. With stabilization and ISO400 you should be able to get some decent shots with stage lighting as long as you don't expect to capture movement.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:13 PM   #6

ok guys,

thanks for your opinions. i am now thinking about getting an sd card instead as it will give me more choice.

could i pick your brains again and ask for a compact camera that will have a good zoom, good video in dimly lit arena's, accept a 4gb card and good motion capture.

possibly the panosonic dmc-tz1?

thanks again
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:30 PM   #7

or the Kodak V610?

do any of these accept a 4gb sd card?

thanks again
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:33 AM   #8

anyone?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:01 PM   #9

Old Nov 23, 2006, 12:11 PM   #10

Yes, it does. All p&s use SD except for olympus, fuji, and sony. Look at the new A series from canon, like the A540, A630/640, and the A710.