Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:11 PM   #1

I'm completely new to this. I was looking at picking up a point and shoot camera as a gift for someone but I not sure where to start as far as mp size and pic quality in the differing brands. I know there are alot of deals at retailers coming up. Can anyone give me some ideas on this? I was looking at spening 130-160 on one. Some other issues though is that the person I'm buying this for only access to a Win ME os and 1.1usb port so I'm slao not sure if those could be issues also. Any help would be great.
rekrow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:53 PM   #2

You will find devotees and detractors for just about any brand you name, so browse the brand-specific threads and see what you think.

I personally am a Canon guy, in both digital and 35 mm. For the price range you are talking about you might consider getting a bargain on an older model in the 500 or 600 series. You aren't going to get a real hot number from a major manufacturer for that kind of price.

USB connections will work OK, just won't be as fast as a USB 2.0 port. Card readers are cheap accessories and really improve the download speed, without killing the camera batteries, if it becomes an issue.
docmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:23 PM   #3

rekrow-

If you indeeed desire a low priced camera, then please take a look at the Sony S-600. It is priced at around $125 and it is quite a good camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:07 AM   #4

I seen a sale online for the A520 camera from Canon for $124. I dont remember where I seen it though.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:41 AM   #5

Alright thank you guys for the replies. Sorry for bring late but would it be possible for anyone here to to tell me what kind of features I should be looking for in a camera zoom/optical zoom etc. As far as power goes should I really look at a lithium(seems less a hassle) one even though they are more expensive? When I said as far as brands go I meant is there any company or model makes that I should stay away from really.
rekrow22 is offline   Reply With Quote