Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

I'm having trouble picking the right camera: I'd like a zoom of 10-12, the best picture quality I can get, very low shutter lag, and 6+ megapixels ( I'll probably need image stab. too). I'll be taking mostly family picks (indoor & out) and kid's sport and school events. I'd prefer to pay under 400- 450. The more info I get the more confused I get! I'm currently looking at the Sony H5, Kodak P712, Panasonic FZ7, Canon S3I5, and Fuji 6000 or 6500. Any help would be MUCH apprec.
LKCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2

LK-

I went through the very same considerations and settled on the Son y H-5. It is a great camera, and a joy to use. I had a Canon S-2, and a Panny FZ-20, and in my opinion, the H-5 beats them hands down.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:44 PM   #3

The only problem I have with the Sonys is the quality. In just over a year they have said there are an abundant of defective cameras twice. Also the S3IS is supposed to be better than the S2IS.

Oh, and I hate their memory cards. Their slower and more expensive than the SD cards.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:44 PM   #4

I can understand your feelings. However, I have had an excellent performance record with my H-5. I seriously looked at the Canon S-3 and I barrowed my son's S-3 for a week to get some hands on experience, and I still am very happy that I opted for the Sony H-5.

Sony's flash memory has declined in price greatly in the last year and yes, it is slower but I don't do many Burst Mode photos.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:54 PM   #5

And remember to factor in the price of rechargeables and a charger plus an adapter tube to mount filters or addon lens for the Canon.

Those come free with the Sony and will easily make up the difference in price for a 1 orpossibly 2gig MS pro duo card vs the price for a SD card.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote