Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:46 PM   #1

My father dropped the hint that he'd like a camera this xmas of his own for his shop to document the airplane he is fabricating. With our price range around $60-$100($100=splurge), he noted that he knew he couldn't get a camera for that price. Of course you can, but I'm just not sure what my best options are.

I don't mind buying used off EBay, etc, and I assume my best bet is a discontinued camera that was good a year or two ago and had started to drop in price.

Wants: (order of preference)

AA Batteries (he takes a few trips each year and would probably forget his charger)

Compact Flash memory - My Mother has an A95 and they would like to share memory cards.

Medium Form Factor - Similar to the A95 in size.

Good Macro (detail shots of his work)

Good Optical Zoom (takes photos at a lot of airshows)

Any other cool features/useful add ons would be welcomed if any come to mind.

Low Light Perf isn't a huge priority.

Thanks In Advance!
BQuicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:06 AM   #2

You might look up used Canon A520's. Theyre slower than their replacements, but it takes a very good picture and should be found for under a $100 used.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:52 AM   #3

How would an A520 stack up vs an A85? (other than the A520 using SD)

Are there any non-Canon cameras that would fit the profile we're looking for?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:39 PM   #4

The A520 has a lens has a larger range in aperture, larger CCD sensor, playback histogram, better in exposing pics, and a wider wide angle.

You could find some Kodaks in the price your looking for that would produce decent snap shots, but to find a good camera with compact flash would be hard. They havent made them since 2004, except for DSLRs.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hmmm, that a520 does seem to be the better option, but I'm not sure how much my father will complain about going SD.

After some research here last night, it does appear that SD offers a lot more options in camera choice...which poses the question as to whether or not CF is just buying into dead technology that will soon lose support. He's getting this camera in place of an Olympus that used Smartmedia cards, so I'd hate to send him down that road again. Thoughts?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:27 PM   #6

SD will be around for awhile. The smart media cards were prone to scratching and losing all the info on the card. The move from CF to SD was increas in storage for SDs and small form factor.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:53 PM   #7

Well, I heard it from the horse's mouth this weekend.He wants to use CF, and since it's his christmas preset I should play along.

I looks like my best options now are the Canon A80 vs A85, unless the Casio QV4000 or Minolta Dimage S414 (or other should be considered).

Any advice for the tenth question in this thread? Thanks for hanging with me everyone.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:32 PM   #8

Nevermind, the search button was my friend in this case. Let me know if you guys can think of better options than the A80 with AA power and CF.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=42758
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:30 AM   #9

Doesn't the A95 use CF cards. I know he wants to use this media, but he is trading price for a media card for a lot of speed decrease.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:38 AM   #10

KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
Doesn't the A95 use CF cards. I know he wants to use this media, but he is trading price for a media card for a lot of speed decrease.
I'm not 100% sure I follow your post, but he said quite clearly that he wants CF (after pros/cons explained), and my budget is $100max...which rules out the A95 (even used). We're not buying for a serious photographer here, but of course we want the best equipment possible within our constraints.