Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:39 AM   #1

I'm trying to buy my in-laws their very first digital camera and need some adivce. I would like to buy something under $200, 5MP or above, 2.0+LCD (their vision will only get worse), still with a traditional viewfinder (in case they still want to hold it up to their eye), and is easy to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
morgpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:20 AM   #2

I went through the same process about six months ago. Our final decision/meeting of all minds concernedwas the Kodak C-533. It is 5mp, 3X optical zoom, simple, and easy to use. It is selling for about $125.

The in-laws have been very happy campers with the camera, its performance, and their photos. He is 76 and she is 68. I hope that helps.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3

The Kodaks would be a good choice for them, with ease of use, but the 533 has a 1.8" screen. It seems really small. You might look at the Canon A540. People here have said it has dropped to below $200. It has a large screen and easy to use also. The menu system is not the easiest for a newbie of cameras and that is where the Kodaks come in with very layman terms and explanations of everything in the camera.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:51 PM   #4

Simplicity and minimizing the confusion were the primary reasons for choosing the Kodak C-533. Yes, you are correct that the LCD is 1.8" not 2.0" but that is a very small difference. I also found the camera on sale below $100 which is a further plus.

MT
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:00 PM   #5

Thanks for all of the advice. I agree with both of you. The Kodak cameras seem to be very user-friendly, which make them very attractive options for my 60 and 70+ years old in-laws. I do think a larger screen would be nice, so I'm looking at the Kodak C643 with its 2.4 inch screen. Any thoughts??

As a side note, I'm a Canon fan, so if the gift was for anyone else, I would stick with Canon.
morgpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:18 PM   #6

That is a good choice. It is $159 with a FREE 1gb SD chip, and FREE 2 day shipping at www.kodak.com.

MT