Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:10 AM   #11
Administrator

mccoady wrote:
Quote:
Yeah I figured there were compromises being made. Do I understand correctly that when shooting sport pictures that you wouldn't be able to use the Auto setting and come up with acceptable pictures?
You'd have to try it and see. Most cameras won't use their highest available ISO speeds in Auto mode (because higher ISO speeds add grain/noise). So, you may need to use Programmed Auto (the P on the mode dial instead), which lets you change some of the parameters like ISO speed on most models, while still taking advantage of the camera's Autoexposure Algorithms.

In low light, the camera should already be using the largest available aperture (smallest f/stop number) anyway (so that the most light can get through the lens to the sensor). So, ISO speed is the main variable that you want to be able to control in less than optimum lighting with a camera like this.

Quote:
Just curious, if not using the camera for shooting sport pictures would this still be the camera you would recommend for under $300?
Well, this is not a camera I'd try to use for low light Sports if other alternatives were available. ;-) I'd be more likely to shoot with a DSLR using a bright prime lens. But, that would put you well over budget. Any choice is a compromise.

Everyone is different. There is no one camera choice that's right for everyone, just as there is no one vehicle choice that's right for everyone. You'll have to decide what's more important to you in a camera.

This model would give you a lot of flexibility to shoot in more conditions, and it's got pretty good focal range from wide to long. To some people, that may be important. To others, a more compact size may be important. The "look" the images have can be important, too. Some people want a more saturated look. Some want a more neutral look.

A camera choice can be a very personal thing. Much of how camera models compare is subjective.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:25 AM   #12

My sister just emailed me and said she would probably use her camcorder for the indoor sports and use the new camera for outside shots (softball & track). She justs wants a point and shoot but the ability to zoom for outside shots. So since she's decided to use the new camera for mostly outside shots, sports and normal pictures does your recommendation still stand?
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:31 AM   #13
Administrator

To repeat:

Quote:
Everyone is different. There is no one camera choice that's right for everyone, just as there is no one vehicle choice that's right for everyone. You'll have to decide what's more important to you in a camera.
Read the reviews (making sure to look at the conclusion sections), compare the features, size, weight, etc. Go to a store and try them out. See how they "fit" (ergonomics, viewfinder, menu usability, etc). Everyone is different. There is no one perfect choice in a camera.

This model is on the Best Cameras List for a reason. It's deemed to be a good value within it's market niche. Is it perfect for everyone? No (and no camera is).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:33 AM   #14

Why not consier the Canon S-2 at www.buydig.com which is selling for $269 delivered. It has IS and a great video clip mode. That would work outside very well. Another consideration would be the Kodak Z-612 which is selling for just about the same price and also has IS, which would be very useful for those long zoom shots.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:36 AM   #15

I have the Fuji FinePix S5200. It's a good camera. However, if your sister is going to use her camera only in daylight and wants to pay $300 or less , I might suggest the Panasonic FZ7 - it has image stabilization and 12X optical zoom. It uses SD cards, which are cheap.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:17 PM   #16

It seems like only taking outdoor sport shots now has changed the equation some so we will read up on the additional cameras mentioned. I would think having Image Stabilization that the three other cameras have would be a good feature but it ultimately may come down to price. Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:54 PM   #17

That is a great idea, Robbo-

As long as the photos are outside, the FZ-7 will not jump into its ultra noisy mode at high ISO settings, and it is cheaper, selling at around $260. So if you can keep the ISO settings at and below ISO 200, it is an option to consider.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:03 PM   #18

Well,

I'm glad your sister decided to change her mind regarding the intended use for the camera. The truth is I have NEVER seen what I would consider acceptable action shots from a digicam for indoor sports. Yes, one or two, but if that was going to be a primary purpose for the camera then I think she would be set up for disappointment.

Robbo makes a good suggestion - you'll need all the zoom you can get when shooting softball. So, look into the 12x zoom cameras as your sister will need every bit of that zoom - even if she were on the field. When I shoot softball, I'm using the equivelent of a 480mm zoom lens and I shoot from the field. That is just enough to shoot from the first base line to the third base line with some occasional outfield shots. And that's from the field, not the stands. So, I think for outside sports the superzoom is the way to go.

She'll be able to get some nice shots with one as long as the lighting is good. All of them should have a sports mode on them - she can just use that (as opposed to auto mode).

Good luck.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:56 AM   #19

EDITED BY MODERATOR

Commercial posts and advertising are against the rules here. These rules are in the confirmation e-mail you received and agreed to when joining.

Spammers are not welcome here.

Jim C.

SEOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:04 AM   #20

This will be an online purchase and she probably won't be able to check out any of the cameras in person so the Panasonic FZ7 is a little better than the Kodak Z612 and the Canon S2 IS for her outdoor sport needs or are you guys just suggesting it as the cheapest of the 12x cameras? Also she will still want to take some indoor non-sport shots with the new camera even though they may not always turn out the best.