Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2006, 5:30 PM   #31

Just a quick 2 cents worth here. My 16 year old son owns the Fuji s5200 camera and got some really good pictures at outdoor horse shows this summer. It also took some decent indoor (no-flash) pictures at a mission we went to see last week. I am actually planning on buying the Olympus TCON-17 1.7x teleconverter for him to add to this camera, which should bring his range to about 650 mm (almost 17x total zoom). The only negative I have with the camera is that I personally cannot see the lcd very well outdoors to compose the pic's (when he has let me play with it) but I do have some vision issues so... he doesn't have any problem viewing the lcd screen. To me this is a heck of a lot of camera for the money and the better low light performance is worth the trade off for the IS.

Peggy

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:15 PM   #32

Peggy,

You do realize that the S5200 has a very nice EVF with a diopter control to compensate for visual acuity deficiencies? I never use the LCD on my S5100 to compose shots...the EVF works great.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:10 AM   #33

Hi Hun

I do know about the diopter control but I am a -5 and the adjustment only goes to about -2, so I have to use my glasses to look thru evf and enough sun gets in to cause it to wash out. Wish I had contacts!!! Otherwise, I really love his camera, it is great for the money, and he has taken some really fantastic shots with it.

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:27 AM   #34

Thanks everyone for the education on cameras so I could help my sister pick one out. I'm sure the Fuji S5200 is a great camera but we decided to go with the longest zoom we could get for the money. My sister ordered the Canon S2 today over the Kodak only because it had more battery options. We both liked the larger LCD of the Kodak and wished the Canon's was larger but it ultimately came down to the latter's more battery options. Thanks again!
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote