Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:12 PM   #1

i think i have settled on gettinga nikon D50, but before i buy i want your opinion so i can be sure its the right camera for me. i am new to dslr cameras but i am really interested in learning to use a dslr. i have been looking through flickr and i want to take shops like these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevacek/i like the pictures with a long exoposure and the hdr images. is this camera the right choice for me as an amateur? will this camera still take good photos withouta tripod?

sorry for all the questions its just a lot of money to spend for it not to be right!
cablefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:29 PM   #2

Cable-

A great deal revolves around your motivation to really study and perfect your photography. It will probably take a few courses at your local community college to get going in the correct direction and perfecting your skills.

You see, the camera alone will not produce photos like those found in your examples link. You must perfect your skills. The camera is only the first of 99+ steps.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:47 AM   #3

i didn not take that fully into account. i will have to spend alot of time to perfect the art, but im hoping as a first camera it will be simple enough to use to get soe kind of decent picture out of it. also i did not take into account the accessories needed to set the camera up like tripod and memory, do you have a preference to these as well?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:59 PM   #4

Cable-

You might want to keep your DSLR investment of the low side financially. So, take a look at the consumer level DSLRs such as the Pentax K-100D, or the Nikon D-50 and then ignore the lens buying urges. Master the camera first and perfect your technique. By that time you will know what area of photography really appeals to you and if you will want to upgrade your equipment.

MT
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:33 PM   #5

the Nikon D50 is the camera i think im going to buy with the standard18/55lens. im hoping with a few online guides i will get too grips with the camera soon, what else will i need to buy to get up and running, can you recommend a portable tripod?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:00 PM   #6

Cable-

Walmart has a heavy duty tripod for about $25 that a lot of my students use and like a lot.

MT
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:22 PM   #7

[align=left]After several other cameras (digi & Film) I say: Good choice.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]- Aero[/align]
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:22 PM   #8

[align=left]After several other cameras (digi & Film) I say: Good choice.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]- Aero[/align]
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:36 PM   #9

i think this camera is a good choice, i lie in the UK so ill look in some stores here for a tripod, is their anything else i will need apart from the tripod?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:48 AM   #10

Perhaps an extra battery and a SD card.

MT