Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:46 AM   #11

Hair-Bear-

There is no denying that the Kodak P-712 (7.2mp) when combined with the P-20 flash is a really nice set-up.

My personal choice is the Sony H-5. Here is a H-5 sample photo attached. This was taken without flash at 100 feet, handheld.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:26 PM   #12

Yes, I am in Sun City West. The reason I chose the S2IS does indeed include price. I almost pulled the trigger on the FZ7 because the price was the same but went with the 2IS because of the very highly regarded video rating and the ability to use AA batteries. Also one review preferred the 2IS slightly over the 3IS. If you are limiting your blow ups to 8X10 maximum I don't see the advantage of having an MP above 5. Am I wrong there?
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:13 PM   #13

inazsully-

Your statement about enlargements to 8" X 10" becomes incorrect if one does any cropping at all. The is much to be said in favor of the Canon S-2 if you do not plan to do any cropping.

The Panasonic FZ-7 has lots of noise when used at an ISO setting greater than 200, therefore I personally tend to be leary of it.

With 6mp the Kodak Z-612 and the Sony H-2 become stronger choices, particularly the H-2 with its Carl Zeiss lens.

The Sony H-5 with 7.2mp, a great Carl Zeiss lens, and a 3" LCD takes on a new shine, and may well be the ultimate choice. The kodak P-712 with 7.2mp imager and the Koadk P-20 flash is another choice.

At the end of the day, only you, the end user knows what is truly the best choice.

MT
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:58 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
inazsully-

Your statement about enlargements to 8" X 10" becomes incorrect if one does any cropping at all. The is much to be said in favor of the Canon S-2 if you do not plan to do any cropping.

The Panasonic FZ-7 has lots of noise when used at an ISO setting greater than 200, therefore I personally tend to be leary of it.

With 6mp the Kodak Z-612 and the Sony H-2 become stronger choices, particularly the H-2 with its Carl Zeiss lens.

The Sony H-5 with 7.2mp, a great Carl Zeiss lens, and a 3" LCD takes on a new shine, and may well be the ultimate choice. The kodak P-712 with 7.2mp imager and the Koadk P-20 flash is another choice.

At the end of the day, only you, the end user knows what is truly the best choice.

MT
MT,

That image above is really great. I have been tettering between the H5 and S3. What card do you use with the H5? Capacity/Speed/etc. Do you use any special rechargeable batteries?If what have you found successful and what kind of life do you get out of them with the camera?

BTW, thanks for all your help. It is nice to hear from someone who has used the camera as opposed to some review that may not have a clue what they are talking about.

HB
HairBear54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:04 PM   #15

Hair-Bear-

As you probably know the H-5 uses 2 AA batteries. I use NIH 2500 mah batteries, and change them every day. With a fresh set of batteries I can get about 250 shots.

The H-5 uses the Memory Stick Pro Duo. As a professional instructor, I enjoy teaching and helping folks.

MT
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:33 PM   #16

If you go by Steve's conclusions it seems that he prefers the H5 and the 3IS over the
712. He makes a valid difference comparison highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of each. I would look at those two and see which fits your specific requirements best. The biggest difference for me would be the higher video quality of the 3IS. That may not be high on your list but since both cameras are so good you may have to nit pick to make a final choice.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:21 PM   #17

inazsully wrote:
Quote:
If you go by Steve's conclusions it seems that he prefers the H5 and the 3IS over the
712. He makes a valid difference comparison highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of each. I would look at those two and see which fits your specific requirements best. The biggest difference for me would be the higher video quality of the 3IS. That may not be high on your list but since both cameras are so good you may have to nit pick to make a final choice.
[align=left][/align]

inazsully,

Nit picking is what I am doing. I think I have settled on the H5, I like the higher megapixels, and especially like the larger LCD screen as my eyesight is not that good. I still like the S3 as well, but the view screen is so small. I will just have to get a memory stick, that's all. I now just have to find the best price.

HM
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:38 AM   #18

Yeah, they should have put the A640's swivel screen on it, but canon does not like to pack too many things in each camera.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:47 AM   #19

I am still deciding on what I should buy. I am almost sure to get the DSC-H5, but am still looking at the Panasonic and Canon...decision, decision, decisions!! Help!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:57 AM   #20

I think mtclimber has given you good advice. She has owned most of the cameras that you are considering. They are all good cameras, but the H5 combines 12X optical zoom, image stabilization, decent low light capability, and darned good image quality. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cameras you talked about. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the H5 if I were looking for an ultrazoom now. The Panasonic is a good camera, just not the best in low light.

Sometimes we face a choice of good or bad options. This time, I think you are facing a choice of a number of good options. Don't worry.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote