Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:08 AM   #1

I have looked at a number of 12X optical zoom point and shoot (Canon S3-IS, Sony DSC-H5, Kodak P712, Panasonic DMC-F27) but having a hard time deciding what to buy. Anyone have some recommendations on the best one for the buck. I am not an amateur photographer, but I would not classify myself as an expert. I need something middle of the road and in the #300 range approximately. Thanks for your help!
HairBear54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:32 AM   #2

HairBear54

hi there

i have owned a Sony h1 pana fz20 and fz50 Kodak z7590 and currently a p712.

there all about the same really no better no worse,

the 7590 is a good camera and i can see no real difference between that and my p712.

the panasonics can be a bit noisy but sort of get over it by the addition of a very good lens.

the Sony was a good camera , good build nice pictures .

but out of all the makes i prefer Kodak .they seem to produce a good vibrant picture thats pleasing to the eye without having to mess around with in something like photo shop afterwords.

so they are all about the same i liked all of them but for me Kodak wins the day.

hope that helps

regards bob.
bomber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the help. It is nice to hear from all who had had one. Do you have the P712 or the Z612? It seems there is little difference except megapixels between the two. Or maybe it was a different camera? Thanks again for the help!

Does anyone else have an opinion? It seems all in this class are noisy at one level or another. Am I right?
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4

After reading the reviews on the Canon S2IS I came to the conclusion that this
camera could be the sleeper in the mega zoom cameras. Most really don't need any more tham 5mp and the features are equal to the newest models, except for the smaller LED. But if price is of any importence too you then see buydig for a delivered total of $269. A bonus is that this camera is considered the best for video quality. I'll be getting mine next week.
inazsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:25 PM   #5

Hair-Bear-

The difference between the Kodak P-712 and the Z-612 is that the Z-612 does not as much mp (6mp instead of 7.2mp on the P-712) and it does not have the hot shoe that the P-712 and P-880 have.

The Z-612 has received great reviews and it has also come down in price.

The Canon S-2 is worth considering if price is critical.

The Panasonic FZ-7 is running about $260 and it does well outside, inside at high ISO settings, it shows a lot of noise.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:27 PM   #6

Inazsully,

Thanks again. I have looked at the camera and it does appear to have all the feature of its newer brother the S3. I will take a closer look at it.

BTW are you from AZ? I live in Gilbert.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:29 PM   #7

Mtclimber,

Great overall review. It gives me lots to think about. I am running by my local Best Buy to compare each of these. I think they have them all there.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:37 PM   #8

Hair-Bear

Let us know what you think about the cameras after stopping by Best Buy.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:33 PM   #9

Finding out what is most comfortable in your hand is most important. The ones you noted have great IQ. The H5 is really good for overall shooting, the S3IS is good if you want fast shot to shot, the Kodak is really easy to use, and the Panny has come out with a very competitive camera.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:30 AM   #10

I just came out with more questions. They didn't have all the cameras I wanted to see. I have looked at the S3-IS and the DSC-H5. I thought I would buy one of them. Then I looked at the Kodak P712 and the Panasonic FZ7 and I am not sure. I like the price on the Panasonic, but I like the high 7.1 megapixel on the Kodak along with the feature to add a flash. Any one with more ideas on this? I think I am between these 4 cameras, but it is hard to decide.

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hair-Bear

Let us know what you think about the cameras after stopping by Best Buy.

MT