Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:51 PM   #1

8 months ago my son was in a really small parking lot fender bender. He stopped and was creaping into the "intersection" to see around a large parked truck - and you can guess the rest. The other party demands that he is 100% responsible and is now suing. Our insurance company says it will take about 2 years and probably a trial since the other party is so adament.

It would have helped for him to have a small P&S camera there in the car, so as to take pictures before the cars were moved and the police arrived. I have a Canon SD500, good images, 600+ on a SD card, great battery life and does movies with sound - would have helped, but I really do not want to spend $240 (currently the cheapest I can find) for a camera in each car.

So does anyone know of a "inexpensive" (about $50) P&S camera that has good battery life (does no good with dead batteries), probably 2 to 3MP, does some movies with sound, VERY easy to use (especially after an accident), that would fit in to the glove compartment. I need several. This way I have common batteries and memory, etc.

Thanks!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:42 AM   #2

Buy a single use film camera - $12.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:09 AM   #3

Leave a digicam in a car during the Summer (+100 degrees) and Winter (0 degrees), depending on where you live, and I don't think you would be able to take any pictures with it...it would either be melted or frozen. At any rate, it is unlikely that the batteries would be able to maintain a useable charge during such temperature extremes.

JohnG had a good idea.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:47 PM   #4

cell phone camera?
Tim Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:23 PM   #5

I would say the best option is to buy one of those one time use disposable 35mm film preloaded camera and keep it in the glovebox 24/7.

Nothing beat those for such situation.
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:06 PM   #6

Why not just carry your camera with you all the time.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:36 PM   #7

Actually I did not think of the single use $12 special. My son had a camera cell phone but did not have the presence of mind to take pictures with it. He has never really used it as a camera.

I will say that I think that a movie clip with sound would help, especially during the statements, and everything else.

I really can't take a camera to work, I would have to leave it out in the car - and the heat would eventually get to it.

I think swinging by the grocery store and picking up a single use camera for each car is probably the best option.....

Thanks!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:56 AM   #8

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Actually I did not think of the single use $12 special. My son had a camera cell phone but did not have the presence of mind to take pictures with it. He has never really used it as a camera.

I will say that I think that a movie clip with sound would help, especially during the statements, and everything else.

I really can't take a camera to work, I would have to leave it out in the car - and the heat would eventually get to it.

I think swinging by the grocery store and picking up a single use camera for each car is probably the best option.....

Thanks!
Taking pictures or video of the scene is one thing, but I don't think using a camera to recordvideo/audio of what people sayafter accidentswill go over to well with some people.I for one wouldnot allow you to tape anything I said afteran accident because there is a chance during the excitment that I could say something in error, which might be difficult to retract later and the same thing might apply to anything you say.Statements madeto police officers and transcribed intoa police report areamatter of public record and you have access to that anyway.

Lesbs is offline   Reply With Quote