Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:57 PM   #1

I'm just new to photography but I'm willing to commit a lot of time for this new obsession of mine. I want to learn basic and advanced techniques and buy a camera that can provide me everything I need to be better at this new hobby. I want to get a new digicam that I can grow with and I have narrowed my choices down to the Canon G7 and the Nikon D40 because of budget constraints.
What I'm looking for is a camera that's compact enough to lug around yet powerful enough to deal with studio shots and indoor shoots meaning it has to be good at high ISOs.
I love the added features of the G7; namely: IS, 6x zoom, video mode, compact size, hot shoe,numerous scene modes, live-view, 9-pt AF and the fact that almost everything can be accessed without going through the camera menu, but I read that it has image quality problems and most frighteningly, has a lot of noise on the higher ISO settings it provides. It is a bit cheaper than my other option though.
On the other hand,the D40 gives me better upgradeability, quicker response times, in-camera editing, RAW format, better shots at higher ISOs, and an optical viewfinder I can actually use (well, it's actually my only viewfinder option here). A you can see, I'm losing a lot of features with this option, but I wont be missing them a lot because I can always borrow my girlfriend's ixus 850 is if ever I'll need some of the G7's features. Besides, I find the better image quality I can get from an SLR to be more important than all those other features.
So please, post your opinions here on what you think I should invest in for the Holidays. I can't wait to begin foodstyling and keeping memories of all the important family events we're having next year.
Oh, please do give an opinion on whether a good ISO 3200 is important. I'm not quite familiar with the ISO levels and how much difference in terms of lack of lighting an ISO 3200 could give me as opposed to an ISO 400.
tonx2gtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2

I would be looking at the Nikon D-50 rather than the D-40 due to the limited number of available lenses for the D-40.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3

Thanks for replying. My problem is, I'm not going to be the one buying the camera. I'm just asking my uncle in the Us to buy one and send it to me. I heard they are already clearing out the D50 nits in most stores and I don't want to give my uncle much trouble looking for one.
A D40 will do for me since I'll only be starting on a new system, that is if I decide that I'd want a DSLR instead of an SLr-like camera like the G7. The D40 also has a help system not found on the D50 and since I'm quite new to SLRs, that'd be a big help for me.
tonx2gtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:15 AM   #4

There is no lack of availability of Nikon D-50 cameras in the United States at all. And a D-50 will be able to use all of the Nikon mount lenses. That is a really big difference!

It is just my personal opinion, but I would not make a very important camera decision based on a camera's built-in Help system.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:43 AM   #5

I started out with a G-series camera and am looking to move to DSLR next. I will keep my Canon as a carry around camera though. You could learn with the G7 and decide if you're willing to spend much more money on the DSLR, because the camera body is just the tip of the iceberg in what many people spend.

You can always get a DSLR down the road the use the G7 as a carry around. You can learn a lot, even with a P&S camera.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote