Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1

I pretty much had my mind made up on getting a canon s3is. But after messing around with a Canon 350d at circuit city today. I was wondering if I should just step it up to a dslr. How do the two cameras mentioned above compare to say a 300d/350d? I know both pentax have less megapixels, which I don't mind. I'm still pretty much a newb, and I'm only working with a nikon 4600. Reason being why I wanted to upgrade to the s3. Another reason being, I'm kind of intimadated to step up to the dslr with my experience.

So now I'm just looking for advice on these 2 cameras. Or would I be better off working with the S3is first, learning that. Then a few years from now step up to a dslr, maybe one even better than both pentax? If I decide to go with the pentax, what's a good upgrade lens to go with. I mostly like shooting buildings, landscape, and macro stuff. Also, my budget will be kind of tight. So how is the kit lens that comes with the camera work? I'd be stuck with that until I can upgrade to a better lens.

Thanks for any words of wisdom guys/gals.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:11 AM   #2

There are advantages and disadvantages to moving to a DSLR camera. DSLR cameras take higher quality photos, have a better viewfinder, and show much less noise due to their larger APS-C size imagers. However, DSLR cameras have no video clips and do not necessarilyhave a Macro mode, for example. You have to use a wide angle or macro lensthat can focus at close distances.

So just buying a consumer level DSLR will bring with it, in most cases, just the kit lens. You mentioned landscapes and macros as desired types of photos that you like to take. In the case of the Pentax K100D, the kit lens that comes with the camera (a Pentax 18-55mm lens which is the equivalent of 27 to 82mm in 35mm terms) can provide nice wide angle shots and it will also focus closely, so you could also do macros with that Pentax kit lens. A good number of folks are happy with just adding one other lens, the Pentax 50-200mm lens, which would be the equivalent of 75mm to 300mm, in 35mm terms.

I do not think you would have any problem in moving up to a camera such as the Pentax K100D, which has built-in IS. I would not personally consider the Pentax K110D due to its lack of IS. Yes, you will have learning to do but that is expected with a new camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the info MTclimber. The Pentax K100&110 are both looking pretty good at the moment. And compared to the S3is, they come in pretty close. Add the 50-200mm lens, and I think it would e a great setup for what I like to shoot.

But how does the quality of this camera compare to say a D50/D70 or 300D/350D? Will I get close to the same or een better results with the Pentax cameras? I just want to make the right choice, sense this camera will be getting alot of usage for many years to come.

I'm sure all in all It's going to be a learning experience with either K100D or the S3IS. Now I just have to figure out which one I want tio go with..

:?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:14 PM   #4

The quality from all these cameras is excellent. I've heard that the Nikon and the Pentax use the same sensor, so differences in pictures would be only differences with in-camera processing.

The first thing I would do is handle all 3 cameras in a store. Since all 3 will give excellent pictures, ergonomics (how they feel in your hands) will make a big difference. Look through the viewfinders (some people prefer one over another, others don't care about the differences), how big/heavy is it (they have different weights and sizes) and how does it fit in your hands (I have small hands and I hike - that knocked the Nikon out right away). The best camera in the world can't take good pictures if is sitting at home because you hate carrying it.

The next thing to consider is how the cameras handle image stabilization, and whether that's important to you (it ended up being a bigger deal than I had originally thought). Nikon and Canon build their IS into their lenses - supposed to provide better stability (so I've read, I don't have any experience with them). That means that you have to buythe more expensive stabilized lenses if you want it. Pentax builds IS into the camera body of the K100D (it isn't on the K110, the difference between the cameras). That means that any lens, no matter how old or cheap it is, is stabilized (the Pentax cameras have full backward compatibility to any of the Pentax lenses ever made, though a manual lens won't suddenly become an auto focus/auto exposure lens - it will have whatever capability it had when new).

So first decide if IS is something you care about. Then go handle the cameras. Buy whichever seems to feel best in your hands. I have the K100D and love it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:51 PM   #5

Yeah, I was going to with the K110D to save a few bucks. But with the rebate going on right now, you can find the K100D for the same price. And after reading a lil more on the SR, I think it will be good to have.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:17 PM   #6

It is a false economy to go for the K110 because the relatively small difference in the price of a K100gives you a HUGE reward - stabilisation. Do not underestimate the benefits of this.

By time you get the camera and lenses etc, the money you will have saved by getting the K110 will notbe that great in relative terms.

The lens kit is good. If you get an offer to have a 50-200 as a second lens, then you will have a good set up with a K100 body.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:28 PM   #7

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
It is a false economy to go for the K110 because the relatively small difference in the price of a K100gives you a HUGE reward - stabilisation. Do not underestimate the benefits of this.

By time you get the camera and lenses etc, the money you will have saved by getting the K110 will notbe that great in relative terms.

The lens kit is good. If you get an offer to have a 50-200 as a second lens, then you will have a good set up with a K100 body.
yeah, i decided that the SR is a good thing to have. So I'm set on going with the K100D. There's a rebate going on right now on the K100D and the 50-200mm lens until Jan. 9th. Butterflyphoto.com and beachcamera.com have the best prices right now.

Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:04 PM   #8

In making a camera choice, especially where there is the direct possibility of using a long zoom on a fairly regular basis, IS becomes very important. The Pentax K100D and the Canon S-3 bith are equipped with IS.

The Nikon D-50/D-70 and the Canon 3004/350D DO NOT have IS. That is a large difference. In addition the D-50/D-70 and the 300D/350D are more expensive.in price and lens selections. Every lens you put on the pentax K100D will have IS.

To get IS on Nikon and Canon lenses you will have to pay a 50 to 90% higher price for each individual lens.

So because of the reasons, IMHO the Pentax K100D is the better DSLR choice. There are lots of used Pentax lens on the market that further reduces your lens costs.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote