Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:27 AM   #1

So, first let me say, hello - I've been coming to this page since I've been interested in purchasing my first camera and not only is there a wealth of knowledge but the forum members seem exceedingly friendly.

That being said..

I'm looking for a compact to ultra-compact camera.

Feature set should include (in order of importance) :

1. Image quality. I know I cannot expect DSLR shots but these will be made into prints and such for photo albums, and I'd like them to be as clear as possible. I'd assume that most of these would be outside shots, but it will also be used at social gatherings and such inside so versatility is important. I've not yet been exposed to the "low-light/no-light" situation though I'm sure it will arise, and would like accomodations as a result.

2. Portability. This seems somewhat obvious seeing as I already specified the form factor.. but needless to say, it can't be too big as it needs to fit comfortably in a purse.

3. Ease of use. I cannot even call myself a "novice" when it comes to cameras. "Know-nothing" would be more appropriate. I do not want to skimp on a feature set if it is not *extremely* user friendly as with time, my experience will increase as will my knowledge, and I'd like a camera with room for that. On the same token, I don't want to have to read the manualjust to take a picture.

4. Shaky-hand forgivability. So.. this one is somewhat iffy. I'm fine with taking pictures, but my girlfriend can at times, get the jitters. I do not want to be limited to an IS camera as a result, but if there is a camera out there that you must be absolutely still to use effectively, I suppose it's not for us....

5. Price. I'm looking at around the 600 range as my top-end, though if a convincing case is made for going slightly higher, I have no problem doing that.

6. Storage medium. Frankly, I don't really care but I suppose SD would be ideal.

Cameras I've done a little reading on:

Canon SD Elph series, specifically the 800IS and 900
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 / Leica D-LUX 3
Casio Exilim Z1000

Any suggestions? I'd like to order this within the next week (holiday and all).
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:56 AM   #2

Kronik-

Size seems to be the issue here, as does IS. So, that being the case, I would stay with your choice of the Canon SD-800IS or the Fuji F-30.

The SD-800IS has received good reviews, but does have a capacity to show a "watercolor" effect at it higher ISO settings. The F-30 does not have IS. In place, it has the uncany ability to handle high ISO settings with ease, and it has received really great reviews.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:26 AM   #3

Thank you for your recs, mtclimber.

Would it be beneficial to wait for the D40 though the more I look at it.. the lens is pretty darned big..
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:33 AM   #4

Kronik-

I looked at the Nikon D-40 also. However, I decided against it due to the limited number of lenses that it can actually use. How about the D-50?

If you are able to consider a camera the size of the Nikon D-40, you might want to take a look at the Sony H-5. I use one and really like it a lot. The H-5 is a very capable camera.

Attached is an existing light photo taken from 100 feet away without flash and hand held.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote