Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:59 AM   #1

Hi -. My Casio Exilim Z-120 has just packed up after I fried it with a multi point adaptor when trying to find batteries.. And am looking for a replacement. Ideally I would like an Slr, but as I would only consider myself as an amateur i think i would not only look pretentious but it wouldn't get used as much as it should do. I like to take landscape photos and occasionally be creative with my photography, ie messing around with the manual focus.

Anyhow, ive been looking at a few cameras and put quite simply i want to get the best "bang for buck".

The cameras ive seen are

FujiFilm Finepix s9500/s9000 - I like this one a lot but the price is around £240 which is only £60 off the nikon D50. I do however like the manual focus rings..

Canon S3 IS - Around £180, but the manual focus is a button... ( im not too sure how this fares over the lens barrel rings as seen on th s9000)

Kodak P880 - Around £160 - ive read some good reviews but its a pretty ugly camera and looks a bit flimsy. Does have 24mm wide angle lens which would be ideal for landscape.

Nikon D50 - £300, limited lens but its an slr..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as im constantly changing my mind and am unsure as which one i should get.

Regards

Aaron

aarongroves103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:44 AM   #2

aaron-

Ihave tried the Fuji S-9000 and quite honestly, I did not like it that much. I felt that it really was not as sharp as I wanted. I do have the Nikon D-50 and it is a very good camera. However, you must keep in mind that it does represent something of an investment, as, to my point of view, you need at least two lenses. I have the Nikkor 18-70mm and the Nikkor 55-200mm lenses. It is pretty good for low light level shooting, but i find myself desiring better High ISO settings without noise.

Last week I had a chance to use my son's Sony H-5 for 5 days and i must say that I was quite impressed by that camera. The lens is quite sharp. the camera is easy to use and the flash is quite powerful.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:19 AM   #3

This seems to be the problem. I really enjoy photography and want to learn the tricks of the trade, but i feel if i get a Digital Slr i simply wont be able to do this becasue I cant afford the lenses. Its a toss up between the Kodak P880 and the Canon S3 IS....

Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:32 AM   #4

aaron-

I have had a Kodak P-880 and I sold it on e-bay because it was really large and did not have much zoom. another thought: the Fuji S-6000 has manual zoom and focusing rings just like the S-9000/S9500. Perhaps that is a possibility?

MT
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:53 PM   #5

If you are considering the Nikon D50 then I would recommend the Olympus e-500 2 lens kit. I'm not sure how it compares in price overseas but in America it runs just about the same as the D50...and it includes a 40-150mm lens as well making it a much better value than the Nikon.
mctrees02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:12 PM   #6

Take this as just my opinion, but if I were in your shoes, I'd probably not get the D50, just because of price. If you still want to consider a dSLR, check out the Pentax K100D, it would work out cheaper, the kit lens is very nice, and can often be found reasonably with both the kit lens and the DA 50-200. These two lenses cover most people's needs, you decide you don't need anything more.

I'd definitely check out the Sony H5 - I have no experience with it, but if it had been on sale a year ago I would most likely have bought it instead of the FZ30 (which I sold after a month because I just couldn't get along with it). I bought a PentaxDS instead and have been VERY happy with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:59 PM   #7

I agree with mtngal-

The Sony H-5 is an excellent choice due to its Carl Zeiss lens that is magnificent. The difference that I can see is this: An ultra zoom is a one time expense. A dslr is a continuing expense.

MT
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:10 PM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
An ultra zoom is a one time expense. A dslr is a continuing expense.

MT
LOL! When I had my film SLR, I had 1 lens (M 24mm 2.8) that I didn't like and never used, 1 lens I used quite often (M 50mm 1.7)and an F70-210 lens I loved and used mostly (but got dropped and died several years ago). I never wanted anything else and used those 2 lenses for over 20 years.

Then I bought the dslr, and the story has certainly changed! I'm now using the lens I ignored, still using the original lens that came with my film slr in 1980, but have added 3 lenses plus the kit lens (and I'm thinking about one of the lenses that is due out next year). I might have been perfectly happy with a couple of lenses when I was shooting film, the ease and flexibility of the digital world has made the "continuing expense" statement SO true for me!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:27 AM   #9

I was looking t the S6000 ( its the S6500 in the UK where i am) and it seems to be a well reviewed camera... very similar to the S9500, however it does look as though th empasis has been put on the face detection technology which isnt really what im looking for... still, i think i may have to settle for this one. I found a seller on ebay who is selling it for just under £200 which seems very reasonable.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:21 AM   #10

aaron-

I have also ordered the S-6000fd as well. So, be sure to post some photos and we can work our way together through this new camera.

MT