Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2006, 3:24 PM   #1

Everyone probably struggles over this - will I be satisfied with a super zoom or will I leave it home and not have a camera with me when I want it? Oh yeah, and what will I pay for convenience?

LX2 - light, sort of small, fair picture quality, has a lens cap to lose. 28-112mm <$400
This is certainly a compromise in a lot of ways. But the wide angle and light weightare big pluses for me. Can't ad on lenses however. This is lowest on my list due to picture quality.

G7 - twice the weight of the LX2 but half FZ50 it's a brick but would fit in a belt pack or jacket pocket. Nice picture quality and built in lens cover. 35-210mm <$500
I can't get over how overpriced this is and would need wide and tele adapters. But I wouldhave it more often than the FZ50.

FZ50 - Big and heavy - probably wouldn't carry it anywhere far, nice picture quality and features, 35-420mm <$500
Best value (love the zoom) and will perhaps take the best pictures. Still needs a wide adapter.

So I am torn. This is more of a decision on use. I had an SLR years ago and remember the bag of lenses and multiple bodies because changing lenses was a pain. So a DSLR is out. I have a Minolta F100 that still works fine, so it could bemy "take along camera".

I am looking for some "don't buy" opinions along with the philosophical discussion aboutuse and having it along.I am big into outdoor shots, big sky, ocean, mountains and sunsets. Many times this is get out of the car and take a few pictures. I'm also a sailor, so the camera might get banged around a bit on a pitching boat.
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:25 PM   #2

gene-

This is just a personal opinion. I would jump to a nice consumer DSLR camera such as the Pentax K100D or the Nikon D-50 which are in the same price range as the Canon G-7. You will bypass the noise in any Panasonic photos at and above ISO 200. You will have much more low light level shooting capability, and in general better photos.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:16 PM   #3

The K100D is certainly a nice option, I have consideredit but will be more expensive and I wanted to avoid the whole bag full of lens thing. Not to mention the continual shopping for those $500 big aperture zooms. I'm not ruling it out yet however.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:40 PM   #4

Gene-

I can really appreciate your position. While I have more than a few DSLR cameras that I use in my seminars and workshops, I personally prefer an "all in one" digicam solution to reduce the weight of what you must carry with you. Right now I am having a lot of fun with using the Sony H-5 (great lens) and the Fuji S-6000fd camera. Both handle their ownareas very well. The Sony H-5, at and below ISO 400. and the Fuji S-6000fd at and above ISO 400.

Please don't think that the only solution lies within the DSLR realm. Sometimes there are other very viable solutions that will work for you equally well.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:30 AM   #5

I think the best solution for me is an ultra-portable with wide angle and a larger enthusiast camera.

Kodak V705 or 800is are the leading candidates right now. The 24mm wide 5x zoom and smaller package makes the V705 the best choice and I can live with lower quality pictures I think.

The more I look into larger cameras the more confused I get. The Evolt500 is a great deal for a 2 lens kit at $640, is smaller than the others but does not have IS.

The K100D is comparably priced, has IS but is only 6mp an is bigger and heavier.

Then there are the S9100, FZ50and a few older models in the $450 or less range.

Other higher res choices are a few hundred more but I think I like the smaller size of the Evolt.

Thanks for the input, it does help me with the thought process.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 1:50 PM   #6

Gene-

Here is a size comparison of the Nikon D-50 (left)and the Sony H-5 (right). I realize that I have an advantage as a woman because I just shove the Sony H-5 into my purse and it is no problem at all taking it along. I do the same thing with my Fuji S-6000, (28mm to 300mm lens) and no I don't attempt to put both cameras in my purse at the same time.

I hope this helps on the size decision.

MT/Sarah