Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2006, 3:50 PM   #1

Hallo

My name is Eradj and i'm from Holland. I'm new in this forum and i'm also a newby in fotographie. And by the way, my english is not always perfect so be gentle:-)
For the past month i've been doing some research in fotographie. I would like to buy my first digital camera and i'm in desparate search for advice.

At first my eye fall on fuji finepix s5600. It seem to be a good camera for a very cheap price. It has 10x optical zoom and great manual featurs. I've been told that being able to change settings manually is very important in photography. I can buy the camera for 207 euro's.

After a while searching on the internet for the best camera for me, i found the s6500. What i realy liked about the s6500 were manuel rings on the lens voor focusing en and changing the focal length. It seems to me a great advantage. It also has a 2.5'' lcd screen instead of 1.8'' on the s5600. And it has a 6 megapixel ccd.
What i don't like about the s6500 is the price. It costs 366 euro's.

Now my question is: is it realy worth spending so much more money on the s6500 for this featurs? or should i as a beginner stick with the s5600.
And my other question is: are there other simiular camera's at this price range that are better than these 2? I prefer not to spend more than 350 euro on a camera.
And btw, 1 euro = 1.3 dollars

Thanx
AtodaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:17 PM   #2

Eradj-

Welcome to the Forum. You will find friendly and helpful people here. I own and useboth of the cameras that you are discussing, only here in the USA they are models S-5200 and S-6000fd. I honestly believe that the S-6500 is worth the extra expense. The imager+processor+lens pairing on the S6500 really works well. I also like the evf better on the S-6000 rather than the one on the S-5200.

I will be happy to answer any questions you might have on either camera, as well.

Here is a sample photo taken inside without flash

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:42 PM   #3

That's a great sharp picture Sarah. Thank you for willing to help me.

My interrest's are, fotographing in the night(low light). I would really like to have a camera that is good at doing this. How good are these 2 cameras in this area?

I also like sportphotographie, photos of the nature and many other things. Basically i would like to be an allround fotographer. Do you really think that is it worth of spending almost 500 dollars on the s6500+mem.card and a set of rechargable batterys instead of going for a simple digital camera? For example the canon a520.

My point is that i want a camera where i can go with for a while. If it it's neccesary i can spend a lot of money. But i don't want an expansive camera with featurs that i don't need. Can you help me with this?

I hope that i'm clear.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:32 PM   #4

Eradj-

The Fuji F-30 and F-31fd along with the S-6500 dominate the area of low light level photography. If your low light level and night shots are done at low ISO settings andusing a tripod, then you surely could get by with a less expensive digital camera.

You mentioned sports photography. That would require a lot of zoom. The Sony H-2 or H-5 would be good possible choices, as they both have 12X optical zoom.

Personally I do a lot of hand held low light level shooting, therefore, the Fuji F-30 or the S-6500 is the proper choice for me.

MT/Sarah
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:36 PM   #5

Eradj,

If the only difference between the S5600 and the S6500 was the size of the LCD and one additional MP, then it wouldn't make any sense to consider the S6500. There are many more advantages to the S6500, however...for example...

The S6500 has a larger more advanced sensor, a wider angle zoom, a faster lens, a wider range of shutter settings, a much more powerful flash, better light metering, and the manual zoom and focus rings. It also has Fuji's new Face Detection technology. Now you can talk about the larger, higher resolution LCD and additional MP if you want. And listen to Sarah...she's a pro.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 7:23 PM   #6

Eraj-

Here is another S-6000/S-6500 photo sample for you. This was taken handheld at ISO 400 with EV -0.7

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:24 AM   #7

Again a very nice picture Sarah, esspecially when you notice that it's made handheld.

I'm pretty sure that i'm going to buy the s6000fd. It seems to me a great camera with a lot of options and i think that this is a camera where i can stick with for a while. Don't you think?

Sarah, do you have any pictures where i can see the stars. Or perhaps the milkyway?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:40 AM   #8

Eradj-

I apologize that I do not have any file photos of the heavens. I have only had the S-6000/S-6500 for two days so far.

MT/Sarah
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:54 AM   #9

No need to apologize Sarah. Thanx for all the information and advice.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:33 PM   #10

I've red some other threads here. And i noticed that the Sony H-5 was recommended frequently.

s6500fd and H-5 cost almost the same. So i'm now in an other dillema. Which one is the better camera of these 2? Which one can make the best photos?

thanx