Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:42 AM   #11

Thank you Benjamin. Now, let's get back to answering the OP's question.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:51 AM   #12

whenimold-

In terms of pocket cameras, the F-20, F-30, and F-31fdare really much more capable than the V-10. If you need more zoom, consider the Fuji S-6000/S-6500. These are the best performing low light level digicams.

Beyond the cameras mentioned you would have to go to a DSLR type camera. However, keep in mind that among the DSLR cameras, some perform much better than others in low light level conditions. The Olympus line has noticeably lower low light level performance, than the Canon, Nikon, and Pentax lines.

The important thing is to realize that excellent low light level photos are possible without going to a DSLR camera. The choice is yours.

By the way, numerous folks have also questioned whether the excellent low light level digicams can do well outside. Here is a sample sunset photo taken last night handheld/ISO 400/EV-0.7

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:22 PM   #13

Nope more likely f/8. The depth of field at f1.4 is measured in inches.

A 50mm lens @ f/1.4 focused at 10 feet has a DOF of 6 inches.
An 85mm @ f/1.8 focused at 10feet has a DOF of about 4 inches.
Work out your own DOF's here http://dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

If the light level is too low augment it. Or alternatively bump up the ISO, to 1600 or even 3200.

Quote:
There are plenty of portrait photographers making very large sums of money using their 1.4 lenses and I can assure you they are not stopping the lenses down to 2.8.
Here is a 28mm f/2.8 @ ISO 3200 shot from an old Canon EOS 20D.
With this focal length , f/stop and the distance involved everythig from about 30 feet to infinity is in acceptable focus.
Attached Images

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:32 PM   #14

Peter,

I'm a bit confused regarding your post. I get the photo and how it's achieved. But you highlighted my comments about portrait photographers using 1.4. Are you implying they do not?And yes I know it depends - if it's studio work then yes, f8. But are you suggesting portrait photogs don't use 1.4 to achieve subject isolation in a non studio environment?

I'm just not grasping how the church shot relates to my comment about using 1.4 apertures for portrait work. I'm sure it's right there, I'm just not seeing it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:48 PM   #15

Yes, I can see how my comment could be confusing :-)

Yes, f/1.4 can be and is used, but the situation must allow it.
At "normal" (what is normal :-)) portrait distances and focal lengths the DOF is so shallow at these wide f-stops that it is difficult to get a person completely in focus.
You might get their eyes sharp but the nose tip or some other body part will be soft, so you have to be very carefull on how you set up the shot.

A lot of my association acquantiences who do weddings make use of the 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, and 100 f/2.0 , 135 f2.0 L, and 70-200 F2.8 L IS along with high ISO's when faced with a church that will not allow strobes.
It is a give/take situation, do you go up in ISO and have to handle the artifacts that produces or do you go for very shallow DOF and lots of out of focus bits.

The shot itself was just to show that high ISO's work well in the almost modern DSLR's. Newer generation bodies like the 5d handle it even better.

Myself in studio or out, I will opt for trying to use whatver means I can to get f/8 - f/11 for light from the main direction.

Have you had a poke around the http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ site?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote