Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:33 PM   #1

Ok I made this post already but with no description, i figured with a description i might have some more luck on replies. So i'm planning on getting a digital camera for the holiday season have done some research on the following. Panasonic Lumix dmc-fx07 / canon PowerShot SD700 IS / Nikon Coolpix S7c i'm pretty much leaning towards the panasonic right now, but not yet sold. Also i'm wondering if the three might be more camera then i need and maybe it might be better to spend a lil less on a different camera so any other recomendations would be great. Also i hear the canon sd700 is a lil bit fragile which is a big reason for me leaning away from that one can anyone confirm that? Anyway thanks in advance for any help, also i would love to hear some opinions about the sd630 and sd600 as i might opt to go for one of those.
na3r0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:21 PM   #2

None of the cameras you mention, except the panasonic FZ-7 have more than 6X optical zoom. Do you really need the 12X zoom on the FZ-7? The SD series are sometime called "fragile" due to their small size has caused many camera drops. Most SD camera drops are fatal. Personally I would go with the A-700 IS.

If you do go for a SD series model, be absolutely sure that you use a wrist strap when using it. That is very inexpensive insurance.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:35 PM   #3

Sarah's advice on using the wrist strap (included free) is a very good point.

Please note that the Panasonic cameras genreally produce somewhat noisier images than the Canons. I've never been a fan of the Nikon Coolpix cameras - shutter lag and horrible picture-to-picture times were typical of the one I've used.

What kind of photos do you plan on taking? Are you interested in learning "photography", or looking more toward snapshots?

I have a Canon A620 and really like it. The A710is Sarah mentioned is a terrific camera, though larger than the SD series. Another contender is the Fuji F20/F30/F31fd cameras, which are larger than the Canon SD cameras but smaller than the A series.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:44 PM   #4

It's gonna be used more for snapshots, but i would like to start getting into photography a bit more and wouldn't want to be limited by my camera to do so. Granted I'm not looking to be a professional just something to do leisurely.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:53 PM   #5

Then I would definitely join Sarah in recommending the Canon A710is. It is smaller than the A630/640, plus it has image stabilization and excellent picture quality.

The other major contender IMO would be the Fuji F30, which has some manual controls - though not as many as the Canon - and is simply the best point-n-shoot camera in low-light situations on the market. It is also smaller than the Canon A710is. The one negative versus the Canon, from what I have read, is that the F30's outdoor photos are not quite as good as the Canon's. That's very subjective, though.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:28 PM   #6

any opinions on the sony dsc-w100???
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:42 AM   #7

There have been lots of reports of poor low light level shooting performance with the Sony W-100, primarily due to the use of a very low shutter speed. In good light the Sony W-100 isquite a capablecamera.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote