Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:56 PM   #1

I am looking to upgrade my Fuji Finepix F700. I had it down to Canon Powershot A 710 IS, Fuji E900, Fuji F30 and Nikon Coolpix L5. I now find the Fuji F30 and Nikon do not have a viewfinder which is important to me. This camera is to go in my bag at all times - I do have the Fuji S5200that I like but find too big at times. I have only been into photography since March 2005. Any suggestions or comments on people using the Powershot A710 or Fuji E900 would be appreciated. Thanks.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:38 AM   #2

Shari-

Will the proposed camera be used mostly for low light level shooting, or will most of the photos be in good lighting situations?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3

Hi Sarah - that's the thing. My Fuji F700 was all I had when we went on a 23 day cruise through the Panama last November. The outside and daylight photos were wonderful and I made an excellent 30 minute slide show. It was the nighttime photos that were blurred. Same thing from last Christmas. The dinner photos were all blurry. I thought maybe the image stabilization would help. I have a tripod for my S5200 but this camera will be for just taking out of my purse wherever and snapping a shot. Thanks for your interest and comments.

Shari
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:11 PM   #4

The Fuji F30 shoots very nice high ISO images (thus allowing for faster shutter speeds while shooting in dim areas). It pretty much negates the need for IS (except if you need it for daytime pics, etc).
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:17 PM   #5

Shari-

Here is a sample photo that I took with a Fuji S-6000fd this morning during a hospital visit. It was handheld/ISO 400/1/50 at F 3.9 under ceiling mounted flourescent lights.

The S6000fd is essentiall a F-30 with the S-9000's lens on it, so the results are very similiar to the F-30. I believe that this is the kind of Low Light/No Flash performance you are looking for in your camera.

MT/Sarah
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:40 PM   #6

Hi Sarah - thanks for your post but the 6000 is the same size as my S5200. What I want is to replace my pocket model. Something I carry at all times. I will go looking this weekend. I may look at some Canons this time.

Shari
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:02 PM   #7

Shari-

I am told by posters that the Sony W-100 is a viable alternative to the Fuji F-30 and it really does have an optical viewfinder, which should please you a lot.

MT/Sarah