Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:02 AM   #1

I am going to buy the DSLR and it will be my first DSLR ever.

I am considering buying the Canon 400D. It has many new features that I like and one feature is Self Cleaning Sensor. For the DSLR newbie like me, I hope this feature may be helpful to me to clean the lens without dismount it from the camera.

But Canon 400D has no spot metering. !!!!

So I have a newbie questions here.

1) Are there any disadvantage of the lack of spot metering in Canon 400D compared to other Nikon D50 and D70s?

2) Any method similar to spot metering has in 400D?
So I can ignore the spot metering and use other meterings for the same purpose of shootings with 400D...

3) Is Canon 400D worth buying for the newbie?

Thanks for any inputs.

shooting star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:53 AM   #2

Before buying a Canon 400D it is very important for you to actually physically handle and work it bit with the 400D. To me, the grip is far too pinched and way too small. I don't ever feel that I have a good grip on the camera. It also does not have any IS, which is a great feature to have.

I use spot metering a good deal, so for me when you add the lack of IS, the lack of spot metering, and the really poor ergonomics together. I would not touch the Canon 400D.

A better deal would be the Pentax K100D which has spot metering, a great grip and IS. It is only 6mp just like the Nikon D-50, but the difference between the 8mp of the Canon 400D and the 6mp of the Pentax K100D is not that great. With the Pentax K100D every lens you ever put on the camera has IS, because the IS is built around the imager and no you don't have to pay high prices for Canon's very expensive IS equipped lenses.

It is your decision, enjoy the buying process.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:10 AM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Before buying a Canon 400D it is very important for you to actually physically handle and work it bit with the 400D. To me, the grip is far too pinched and way too small. I don't ever feel that I have a good grip on the camera. It also does not have any IS, which is a great feature to have.

I use spot metering a good deal, so for me when you add the lack of IS, the lack of spot metering, and the really poor ergonomics together. I would not touch the Canon 400D.

A better deal would be the Pentax K100D which has spot metering, a great grip and IS. It is only 6mp just like the Nikon D-50, but the difference between the 8mp of the Canon 400D and the 6mp of the Pentax K100D is not that great. With the Pentax K100D every lens you ever put on the camera has IS, because the IS is built around the imager and no you don't have to pay high prices for Canon's very expensive IS equipped lenses.

It is your decision, enjoy the buying process.

MT
Quote:
isn't the 400D 10mp?
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:19 AM   #4

Mansell-

You are correct. I apologize and it was a typo on my part. I was thinking about the Canon 350D at the same time I was listing features.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:17 AM   #5

Hi all!

Thanks for your inputs.

One reason I am thinking of Canon is easy to find the lenses. Canon and Nikon have many lenses available to choose. But pentax has onlyfew available. I am in Thailand and at here you can get Nikon and Canon lenses very easy. Also third parties lenses like Sigma, Tamrom etc available for Canon and Nikon here. But pentax lenses veryhard to find. And no after sale service for Pentax. No dealers. Nikon and Canon have dealers and service centers.

And i thinkPentax has made only a few DSLR. So when I want to upgrade to higher models I need to wait for a long time. Actually I like Pentax IS feature. But for now I can only think about the Canon and Nikon because of their market availablesin here.

shooting star is offline   Reply With Quote