Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:47 PM   #11

digraph-

That is exactly what I, and a good number of other very experienced DSLR users on this Forum are saying. The expectation is that there will be much less in camera processing of DSLR images by the camera. That allows the photographer the ability to handle items like sharpening, and dynamic range to the photographer, who will selectively handle the photos as they want it done. DSLR cameras are intended to be creative tools.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:15 PM   #12

I believe whether or not post processing is requireddepends on whichDSLR camera you use, the type of shooting you do, the amount ofavailable In-camera Processing settings set by the user and the desired affects. For most normal photos, I would rather spend time taking pictures, getting it right the first time and I find little need to post process.

I am not suggesting that I never touch up photos or that some photos can't be improved,but in most cases that I have experianced, all it takes is modifying the already processed JPG. I rarely modify a RAW file, but I shoot Raw & JPG just in case there is a major screw uplike using the wrong settings during shooting.

Of course, some will disagree, but I only know what works for me and the best thing I can do is to keep doing that which meets my needs.

Lesbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:37 PM   #13

lesbs-

Are you currently using a DSLR camera? If so, what model and make, please. As a person who conducts DSLR Camera Workshops all over the world, and as a person that both owns and uses just about every DSLR camera on the market today, I hope that I will not offend you went I add that my experience runs quite differently to yours.

I have found the Post Processing is always worth the time devoted to it when deal with DSLR images. Am I missing the boat somewhere? I am always will to listen to different point of view. Thanks in advance for your reply.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:06 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
lesbs-

Are you currently using a DSLR camera? If so, what model and make, please. As a person who conducts DSLR Camera Workshops all over the world, and as a person that both owns and uses just about every DSLR camera on the market today, I hope that I will not offend you went I add that my experience runs quite differently to yours.

I have found the Post Processing is always worth the time devoted to it when deal with DSLR images. Am I missing the boat somewhere? I am always will to listen to different point of view. Thanks in advance for your reply.

MT/Sarah
I never get offended because someone's experiance is different than mine. No more than you should get offended if I tell you that my experiance with people who run workshops, teach or consultdoesn't make neccessarily make them experts in their field.

Your opinion ison post processing is just that... an opinion.

There are very skilled professionalphotographers that subscribe to the same opinion that I have on post processing. Does it mean we never post process? Of course not.

Perhaps you have time to post process.... then it is worth your while. I'd rather be taking pictures since that's whatphotographers do. Photography is an art and like any art, the results are up to the artist.

Frankly, I'm not sure you are really willing to listen to a different point of view. If you are really willing to listen,than I suggest that you experiment with taking the picture in conditions and with camera settings that allow you to achieve the results you desire right out of the box. Maybe part of the problem is that you have too many cameras. No ofense, but can you master your equipment if you have almost every model of every brand? I have 3 different DSLRs,2 P&S cameras, and 4 SLRsthat I don't use that muchandit is difficult enough to be proficient on each one.
Lesbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:11 AM   #15

lsbs-

As you say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:15 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for your comments and help. My hubby went out and bought me a Pentax K10d this weekend, so the decision is made. So far, I love it!!! It is supposed to be living under the X-Mas tree until Christmas, but hte heck with that!

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:17 AM   #17

Congratulations Peggy. Enjoy your new toy. And be sure to share some of your work in the photos section.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:49 AM   #18

Peggy-

I am sure that we are all pleased to hear you have the camera that you really want. Enjoy your new toy and post some photos, please.

MT/Sarah