Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:46 PM   #1

I'm looking for a camera for my 13 year old daughter. She likes to use my Sony p93. We have extra aa batteries and a sony stick but I'm open to any brand. She loves photography and is learning to do edits through picasa.

Thanks for your help

stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:35 PM   #2

Hey StoneHill,

When I was thirteen two years ago, I bought my first digital camera. It was very hard picking the right one, at the right price, with the right features. However, after looking for about 2 years, I finally bought a Canon PowerShot A75. It had 3.2 megapixels, (the norm for the time) and it had all of the features that I knew that I would want and need as I got more experienced. Unfortunetly, they no longer make this model, but they do make a "cousin" camera that is almost identical with more megapixels and a slightly better zoom. Canon is known for their image clarity and lenses, affordable price, and durablility that rivals all other camera manufactorers. My dad for example, handed my down his Canon Film SLR that he had when he was a teenager. I use it for my photo classes and the images outperform anyone elses. No joke.

The very first week I had my camera, the software was loaded, I knew every feature of the camera, and I was using more advanced level features like shutter priority and macro modes.

Sony, although good, seem to have many recalls and issues with their products. Some models have no problems and last forever like your Sony, I'm sure, but the newer ones are having CCD problems and the prices are generally higher.

Kodak makes a great camera with great images, but they seem to be just the standard. No more, no less. Good for beginners perhaps, but no features that enable the user to really stray from just the basic.

FujiFilm makes a great product. They take xD cards which are more rare these days, their dependability is lower than most although still great, but once again, this is just the standard. For the price range that you are probably looking in, you will get farmore with a Canon than in one of these.

Olympus I havent really looked into because I'm not a big fan. They seem okay, just nothing exrodanary in my opinion.

So...

For the price, features, simplicity, image clarity, and dependability, Canon makes the best all around camera. Please seriously consider one, asI would not have posted this is I didn't believe that it was true. I think you and your daugher will be very happy with one.

Here is a link to the PowerShot page on Canon USA's website. Please look here bevore anything else. The prices range from $200 up into the 4 and 5 hundred dollar range. Most are similar in everyting else except megapixels. And a 3.2 megapixel camera gave me elargements as large as 8.5 x 11 with no pixelization. So a 4 or even a 5 megapixel is more than adequate for your daugher. (And most people too)

PowerShots take AA batteries, the newer models (within the last year or so) all take SD cards. Along with the camera you will need, of course, a memory card, 4 AA's, a case, and a few other small accesories. This puts you at about $250-$275.

There is no good camera for $100 that will last very long or deliver any amount of good results. That is unless it's used. In that case, I would still buy a Canon. There are in fact "off-brands" like Vivitar that will get you a 2 megapixel "camera." But allbeit you have to buy her another on in a year or so when it breaks or stops working. And by then you are already at $200. Something to think about.

Please post back with any questions or let me know how it goes...

:|-=Greg Over=-:|

My suggested Canon, the "cousin" model. So fantastic I won't go into details.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=12914

-=Greg Over=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:27 PM   #3

You could give her your camera. Use it as opportunity to upgrade yourself. I gave my Kodak P&S to my 8 years-old when I bought a DSLR.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:22 PM   #4

I already pitched that idea (actually my mom, her Grandmother) is the one buying the camera for her. She wanted to get her a new cam of her own. I actually do love Canon-I have the rebel 350 xt. I almost bought the canon A95 instead of the Sony for my pocket camera. Isn't that the "cousin" to the A 75? We could probably get Grandma to go up in price. Any other suggestions?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:57 PM   #5

Look at the A-540 as another possibility, it is the successor to the A-95.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:58 PM   #6

Here is the 5th picture I ever have taken with any digital camera. It was my first cam, the Canon A75. Keep in mind that the image quality has been reduced.

-=Greg=-
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:26 PM   #7

Greg, Beautiful shot!

I'll check out the canon A530 and A540. Maybe my daughter will trade me for the Sony I have.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:16 AM   #8

Hey StoneHill,

Thanks for the comment. I hope it turns out the best it can.

If she already likes your camera, then no one really loses here if you trade her. I know when my Dad gave me his old SLR that I had already been familiar with, it made things a whole lot easier; plus I made sure that nothing happened to it because it was his. You can upgrade to the Canon and not have to worry about the price range of $100as much, and you both end up with something that you'll really want. Oh, and grandma: maybe she can get your daughter something like a tripod or a new camera bag or a shoulder strap. I even came across a pink camera case:OThe nice thing about cameras is that there are plenty of accesories for them and with those new things, it kind of makes it "hers." Whatever ends up happening, I hope you're both happy.

See ya on the forums,

-=Greg=-
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:31 AM   #9

Hi Stonehill,

Greg's advice to look at the A530/A540 is good. Keep in mind that with the holiday season here, you should be able to pick up a quality p&s for far less than what Greg is suggesting. Check local Sunday circulars and Froogle.com.

Also, don't be afraid of Sony as a brand - everyone come sup with glitches, and a couple of years ago it was Canon with the infamous "E18" situation, compounded by their horrible handling of it. In fact, Canon p&s cameras use Sony sensors. That said, I really like my A620.

I recently picked up a factory refurbished Sony Cybershot DSC-S600 on Ubid for $102, for my brother. It takes fine snapshots.

Good luck!
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:30 AM   #10

Hey flippedgazelle

I just wanted to comment on your reply. Yes, Canons do use Sony's sensors, but only some of the manufactorers cameras had issues. The sensors that Canon is currently using do not have any problems of any kind and are some of the best that you can buy today.I for one am not knocking Sony, especially if they make sensors for Canon. It's just suspect, that's all.

And yes, the holiday season is approaching. But a range of $250-$275 is not far stretched in the least. You can get a camera likea version of theCanon PowerShot for $199.99. But you are forgetting that instead of a memory stick, the new camera takes SD cards. On top of that, a camera case, batteries, charger,and card reader will put you exactly in that price range.

$200 Canon Powershot + $20 cameracase + $20-$45 SD Memory Card (depending on size) + $104 Rechargeable AA Batteries = exactly $250-$275.

And I'm glad you got a refurbished camera for that price range. But I am talking about used. That's a different ball-park entirely considering the factory or manufactorer is refurbishing the cam. Used cameras are just that, used. And unless you know the person it came from like in this case, her dad, then I personally would stay away from them. My dad for example, gave me his film SLR that is 30 years old. It works perfect to this day, absolutley no problems and still takes great shots. But how do I know that Joe Schmo didn't drop his cameraon the pavement going 45 miles per hour trying to get a shot outside of the window?

Whatever ends up happening, let me know. I'll be happy to hear from you

-=Greg=-