Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:39 PM   #1

I have spent all day today searching on line & reading reviews & reading forums.:?I cannot get any more confused than I already am.

We currently have a Kodak DX3900 Easy Share Digital camera 3.1 mp. It has worked great for the past 4 years. But now that we have 2 children we are beyond frustrated with the long delay between shots. We are missing way too many "kodak moments". We decided it is time to get a new camera.

Our camera is primarily used for pictures of the kids, family functions, indoors with some outdoors and for listing ebay items. We use the macro alot for close ups for ebay items we list. Most pics are printed out at 4x6 but occassionally up to 8x10.

Our kodak is so user friendly - everything is "auto" no learning, no thinking.

I would prefer the Canon Rebel XTi but the price is a big "NO NO" from my hubby and I do not want to fiddle around with changing lenses and carrying around a bulky camera and bag with accessories. Lugging around the 2 kids and their supplies is enough for me!:G

So what do I buy??:??? I have been looking at almost everything and do not know what direction I should go. Hubby wants to spend $150 but I am thinking closer to $300 if necessary. We do not want some piece of junk but can't afford top of the line. Important to us, are quality indoors, quick picture to picture taking speed.

Could the Canon Powershot A540 be what I am searching for???

Any suggestions ? Thanks for reading and for your expert opinions.

caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:17 PM   #2

Keep something in mind, caps...cameras in the $150 to $300 price range aren't necessarily the fastest things around today, but in comparison to your existing cam, they should seem like greased lightning! You didn't say how old the kids are, but I'm assuming quite young. Doesn't sound like DSLR is in your crystal ball for this year.

Compact..simple...good pictures in low light...short shutter lag...doesn't sound too difficult. The best low light compacts around today seem to be the Fuji's. Take a look at the F20, F30 and F31. The best for your needs would probably be the F31 (Face Detection technology - good for the wee ones), but it would also be the most expensive...but wait...Fuji now has a $50 rebate on the F31 and F30...so maybe there's hope.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:35 PM   #3

Caps-

The Canon A-540, the Kodak C-743, the Sony S-500 and S-600 are all low cost possibilities. The Sony S-500 and the Kodak C-763 are featured on this week's Walmart advertisment. However, they will not be as fast as the Fuji F-20, F-30, and F-31 as Rinnie has already noted.

Our local Walmart had the Sony S-600 on sale for $99.99 on Black Friday.

So there is some choice out there, bu the field is somwhat limited.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:42 PM   #4

OK, the Fuji F31 has now grabbed my eye - but I cannot find them!! Appears that they must recently havebeen released outside of the USA and are not here (USA)yet???

I see the F30 for sale but not the F31. From what I am reading the only difference between the 2 is the face recognition feature on the 31 model? Perhaps not necessarily worth the extra cost or wait?

And yes, my boys are ages 4 and 15 months & they move quick!! I need a quicker camera to capture all their antics!

I guess I need to just wait for some F31's to hit the US Market and then look for sales, huh? I have always been a huge fan of fuji film - vs- kodak film...fuji film always made awesome brilliant photos (way back in the 35 mm film days!!).

You guys are great! I so appreciate the opinions.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:12 PM   #5

Supposed to ship in December...hey, it's December. Beach camera has it listed...

http://www.beachcamera.com

Pretty good rating...

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...Camera_Beachtr

You may be one of the reasons Fuji designed Face Detection...two under two! Seriously, I don't have any experience with FD, but check these posts by one of our members:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=16

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=16

I believe the only other differences between the F30 and F31 (besides FD) is more internal memory in the F31 and IR connectivity. I think that means you can upload pics without wires, but I'm not real sure about that.

the Hun

Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:55 PM   #6

Caps-

The face detection feature is very useful. It is available on the Fuji F-31fd and the S-6000fd. Ilike it. Here is a sample photo of my husband from the S-6000fd. It was the very first photo I took with the camera. It was taken inside, with no flash, at ISO 800, and using the face detection feature.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7

Hey Thanks again for the quick responses!

I did find the F30 & F31 both at Beach Camera and have made my play with the hubby! I have to show him the photos in the 2 links that you supplied. They look wonderful. I am hoping to sway him into the F31

Unfortunately I have no idea what the whole ISO 800, 1600, 400 stuff means....all I have ever done is turned on my camera & clicked. Do I need to learn this stuff to use the Fuji?

Also I do not see any mention of a MACRO setting on the Fuji camera - I've checked tons of sites...does this mean it does not have it & I cannot take close close ups?

Also I see alot of comments in reviewing all these cameras about "noise" - what do they mean?

I am definately going to go with one of the 2 Fuji choices. I had not even looked at them until this posting - so, THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH!

Ya gotta love the computer technology of "forums"! Remember when we were once dependant on the sales folks at the local stores?!? YIKES! So glad those days are over! It is great to be able to touch base with actual people who have on hands knowledge & more experience.

Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:00 PM   #8

ISO numbers relate to the light gathering ability of the camera - the higher the number, the more light it can gather. Noise, or grain (spots and/or colored blothes) is what you get when you try to cram too many megapixels into too small a sensor, or try to take pics in low light with a camera that can't handle it. The F31FD will focus down to 5 cm (1.98604 inches).

the Hun
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:22 PM   #9

Caps-

The S-6000/S-6500 also has regular macro and a super macro mode. In the macro mode the S-6000fd focuses as close as 10 cm with the lens in the wide angle position. In the super macro mode the S-6000fd will focus as close a 1 cm with the lens in the wide angle position.

The advantage of the S-6000fd (known in Europe as the S-6500) is that it offers a 28mm to 300mm zoom lens (10.7X optical zoom). While it does utilize the F-30 6.3mp imager and processer, it is coupled with the Fuji S-9XXX lens, thus give an excellent camera usable over a much wider range than the F-30.

Some folks have questioned the S-6000fd and the F-30's ability to handle standard outdoor photo conditions, while at the same time being able to use ISO settings up to 3200 in very low light level shooting conditions. So this sample is a classic sunset photo.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:59 AM   #10

S-6000fd.............is this also Fuji or us it Sony?? I did a search & it appears to be another Fuji very similar to the F30 & F31.