Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:20 PM   #1

Please Please, someone give me some advice. I am getting more and more mad everyday. I have the sony w100. I bought it because my lst camera (dsc-v3 sony) was too big for my purse. But, now I am regretting it. I took my daughter outside today and am not happy with the pics at all. Her face is just not that clear. I read and read about focusing it, and making sure she was in the middle of the pic, and so on, but I still am not happy with every 6th picture looking good. I have no clue what to do:-( I no longer have the other sony, and now hate this one. I don't do the manual settings, or adjust it, I just like to point it at her and shoot on auto, and I guess I am paying the price. Am I asking too much from this tiny camera? Do I need an SLR, or something that will be better, even if I have to go back to a bigger camera? Can these small of cameras just not produce what I want? I am lost, and also sitting here typing and realizing that I spent 3 hours today in the snow with my daughter and have no really good pics, and that makes me sooo mad. Please any help would be wonderful. I take pictures of my daughter and that is it. Whether she is playing outside, or inside with bad lighting, that is all I really take, so I want them to look great. In all honesty, I have a camera I hate and $400 in my wallet to spend, what should I do? Thanks for letting me rant... Have a nice night Jen
kayleezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:28 PM   #2
Administrator

Jen:

Let's see what's wrong with the images first.

I'd hate to see you spend more money and end up with the same issues. It may be something very simple causing your problem.

Post an image or two so we can see what you're talking about.

I typically use Irfanview for upsizing or downsizing images. It's a free tool with lots of uses. Go here to get it:

http://www.irfanview.com

You'll want the images to be around 640 pixels wide.

To use it for resizing, simply open an image using File>Open.

Then, use the menu choice you'll find for Image>Resize/Resample

Click the "Set New Size" box, make the width around 640 pixels wide, with the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" box checked (so that it keeps the same dimensions of width to height) and click OK.

Then, use the File>Save As menu choice and give it a new name so that you don't overwrite your original. I'd make sure the file type is JPEG, and set the Image Quality slider you'll see to around 84% to make sure it's small enough for posting (images will need to about 240KB or smaller for posting here). Leave other options at their defaults (making sure the retain EXIF is still checked so we can see the camera settings being used)

Then, start a new post in this thread and you'll see a "Browse" button that you can use for attaching one of the downsized images.

That way, we can try to figure out what's going wrong with your images. It could be something simple like camera settings. Or, it could be that you do need a different camera for the conditions you're shooting in.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:33 PM   #3

ok, i will try, give me a few minutes...
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:36 PM   #4
Administrator

Any other tool that you use for editing can probably resize them, too. But, some editors strip out the header containing camera settings (which will be needed to try and determine what's causing your issues). So, Irfanview is a good way to do it. Take your time. No hurry.

Chances are, it's a shutter speed versus focus issue. But, let's see the photos to try and narrow it down some before jumping to any conclusions. It could be something you could rectify with a settings change.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:40 PM   #5

Kayleezmom-

It is certainly unfortunate to spent several hours with your camera, without much to show for it. I certainly don't mean to offend, but perhaps if you took a local Community College course in digital cameras, you would understand your Sony W-100 much better, and as a result, be able to get better photos.

Is it possible to post any samples, from today? What were the weather conditions? Snow provides a huge reflective surface, if the sun was out. The Sony W-100 has received good reviews, so I hesitant to say go look at another camera.

Let's see if we can sort out the conditions you were dealing with today, shall we? That is why I asked about the weather, the sun, etc. It is non productive to become angry, instead let's just sort this out. When you have a chance, please post one of the photos from today. Also post the best photo you have taken with the W-100. With the two samples we will have something to go on in our investigation.

Thanks for your help.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:54 PM   #6

here I go, hope this is right, thank you for the great instructions...
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:56 PM   #7

2nd one
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:59 PM   #8

Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:01 PM   #9

so there they are.....terrible. I feel like I shoudl be able to zoom in atleast a little bit, and I can't. Any help would be wonderful, I have read all the suggestions on this board, read the manual, and still they look bad. Thank you to any one who has suggestions, and thank you to Jimc for your quick help already. Jen
Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:07 PM   #10

so, mtclimber, here is a good one. Indoors, she's standing still, and I am close to her. My pics start going bad when she is further away, or standing by something that wants to pic up the light, and not the light for her. thanks

Attached Images