Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:33 PM   #1

That's a $600 budget, max. :P

I sell prints etc of some of my photos and have been a lil frustrated by being unable to optically zoom in closer to things like flowers.

I also take pictures of critters like cats and sometimes need to be able to take pictures rather quickly.

I guess it's sort of a 'best bang for the buck' that's at least 8MP with a nice zoom & great IQ.
dohernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:34 AM   #2

doherman-

Perhaps you might want to take a look at the current crop of high mp consumer DSLR camera. They all have excellent photo quality.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:46 AM   #3

I'm not sure I'm ready to lug around the extra lenses and such...
Plus while the camera bodies may fit the budget, decent lenses add on a few extra hundred.
I'd really like to keep the whole thing under $600.

I just don't know what a decent upgrade from the Canon Powershot G6 would be without going to the DSLRs.

When it comes down to it, the IQ is the most important though.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:25 PM   #4

I recentlybought the Sony R-1 and I have been very impressed with it. The lens is magnificant, virtually worthe price of the camera, since the prices have decreased. It makes a very handy and creditable all in one answer. i paid $653 (US Dollars). That is somewhat over your top budget, but i thought it might be worth a bit of consideration.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:05 AM   #5

Also worth remembering there is no currentdigicams with as fast as lens as your G6 with f/2-f/3, Istill use a Sony F-707 that has even faster lens f/2-f/2.4, thelatest DC's all now seem tostart at f/2.8 which is a shame.

You could invest in the Canon D250 or D500 close-up lens for your G6 which will do a fine job with flowers and macro shots in general.

Regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:52 AM   #6

Thanks guys.

Well it turns out that if I buy myself a DSLR body, like the Rebel xti or the Nikon D80 I might be able to get Lenses as an xmas present. I'm going to see if I can handle these in a store today.

Now I'm really not sure what to do. I don't know much about lenses, I just know I would want something that can zoom in close and still be able to get a nice distant shot. I guess I'm thinking Superzoom on one lens as opposed to bunches of different sets of lenses... Though I guess just 2 lenses might do the trick to start?

Or should I just go from the Canon G6 to the Canon G7 or something similar?The Sony R-1 does seem lovely, and I admit I like that kind of a grip.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:20 PM   #7

doherman-

I think you have have to ask yourself if the zoom in the Canon G-7 is enough for your kind of shooting, keep in mind that the Sony R-1 does not have much zoom, but it has a love wide angle with a great lens.

Thinking of consumer DSLR cameras, why not give some consideration to the Pentax K100D and using just the Pentax 18-55mm lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens which would keep your kit light, and give you a 27mm wide angle with the kit lens and 300mm of zoom with the second lens, when the 1.5X multiplier is factored into the equaltion. The advantage of the Pentax K100D is that it has IS built around the imager, thus you have IS on any lens on the camera

Another possibility would be either the Olympus E-300 or E-500 DSLR cameras with the Zukio14-45mm kit lens and Zukio 40-150mm lens. The E-500 is often pair together with those two lenses and sold as a 2 lens kit. Costco carries the two lens kit. With those 2 lenses you would have coverage from 28mm to 300mm because the Olympus DSLR has a 2.0X multiplication factor. Olympus DSLR's can be considered if you are not going to do a lot of low light level shooting at ISO settings greater than 400.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:55 PM   #8

I think the Canon G7 would have the same zoom issues. But someone mentioned lenses for the Canons so I need to study that.
Though some of the 6MP cameras look nice, I'm looking for at least 8MP.

I went to the store and held the Rebel & the D80. They're very similar though the Rebel is a bit thinner. I'm not sure I like having all the little marks in the optical viewfinder that the D80 has. I'm sure they'r handy for lining things up but they threw me off. I guess it would take some getting used to.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:01 PM   #9

I have been following the "Advice on new camera, P&S or DSLR?" topic closely.

I guess in the grand scheme of things I'm in a similar boat. However I was told by a stock photo place that they refuse to look at photos taken with a camera that has less than 8MP, which is why I'm so focused on getting at least 8MP.

I will admit that while I like the ability to do stuff manually I generally leave my camera on Auto. I guess it's a good thing thatI happen to love Photoshop, so processing the picture afterwards is no stress for me. But Photoshop can't help a blurry bad picture.

I just don't know that I'm ready for DSLR, but I want great image quality. For example I want to be able to see even more strands of fur& color variations-

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Any thoughts about the Lumix FZ30?

Thanks!

Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:47 PM   #10

doherman-

Yes, crossing that bridge to a DSLR camera is difficult, especially when the so called "bridge cameras" produce photos nearly as good as some DSLR images. However, I believe that in your personal situation you must take a longer view of your situation.

If you want to continue with the stock photos business, then you will have to meet the industry requirements, or desist.I sincerely believe that it is time for you to make the change, if you want to stay in the business. I would be seriously looking at a Pentax K10D, a Nikon D-80, or a Canon 30D.

No offence intended, but do you realize how many features, readily available on your camera that you have isolated yourself from by insisting on using that Auto Mode?

This is a CREATIVE business! Give some serious consideration to really using all the tools that are available to you. i don't visualize you as being too old, or too set in your ways, to make the changes necessary to staying at the top of your game. Please give some thought to these issues, won't you, please.

MT/Sarah