Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:38 AM   #1

I intend to buy my teenage daughter a Nikon D50 as her first DSLR and have been trawling online stores and local camera shops to see what offers are on the table. Everyone seems to be offering the usual "kit" Nikon lens with the camera so from a price perspective its pretty easy to do comparisons. However yesterday one of the shops I visited was offering the D50 with a Sigma 18-50 f/3.5-5.6 lens for pretty much the same price as the "kit" lens (£10 more).

The Sigma lens has a slightly different focal length but has the same aperture range as the "kit" lens. It also has a metal as opposed to plastic mount and seems to me to be of better quality that the "kit" lens.

Subjectively it seems to be a better deal. Am I right?

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:25 AM   #2

It is probably just a matter of personal preference, Ron, but I like the Nikkor 18-70mm lens better than the Sigma 18-50mm lens.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:17 AM   #3

Sorry. Should have mentioned that the kit lens I'm referring to is Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:52 PM   #4

i have just bought the new nikon D40 with 18~55 lens kit INCLUDING a 3 year warrenty from calumetphoto for £401!!!!! hre are the details its worth a look http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/355-580E.html
cablefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:39 PM   #5

Yes, but I see they don't actually have any in stock. Other than that , she's not too keen on the D40 because of its small size.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:15 PM   #6

However, Ron-

You must admit that the Nikon D-40 is a camera to truly be reckoned with based on every day reality. Or do you really prefer the D-50 in place of the Nikon D-40?If so which lens would you get with the Nikon D-40?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:29 PM   #7

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
If so which lens would you get with the Nikon D-40?

MT/Sarah
With the D40, you're getting the 18-55 AF-SII whether you want it or not. The D40 is not available as a body only purchase. You also have to consider that auto-focus will only be available with the newer AF-S lenses. That means most older Nikon AF lenses from the film days (including all prime lenses) and all 3rd party lenses (except sigma's HsM lenses) won't have AF capability on the D40. They'll mount, but you'll be stuck with manually focusing the lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:41 AM   #8

ron519098 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but I see they don't actually have any in stock. Other than that , she's not too keen on the D40 because of its small size.
yes they do i ordered one on sayurday they had some in their london branch, im getting mine on thursday. the stock that is overdue on the site is the stock due into their main warehouse. to get this camera with a 3 year warrenty and lens for £400 is a bargain i think.
cablefun is offline   Reply With Quote