Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:02 PM   #1

This may be a repeat andI am sorry. I am trying to decide between Canon XTi or Nikon D80. But I am trying to decide why their is $200.00 difference between the two cameras? Also to go with the Quantaray 18-200mm or a Tamron 18-200mm? Ritz camera says both Sigma & Tamron make the Quantaray lens depending on the notch in the Quantaray box? If you look at the specs they do seem to be the same. Please help and any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
kmfncaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:36 PM   #2

kmf-

It is probably just purely personal preference, however, I would go with the Nikon D-80 instead of the Canon XTi. I find the grip on the XT and XTi to be very pinched and uncomfortable for me. Therefore, I would opt for the D-80.

Regarding Quantaray Lenses, I have never really been very pleased with them, but as I said previously, that may just be personal preference.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Administrator

kmfncaf wrote:
Quote:
This may be a repeat andI am sorry. I am trying to decide between Canon XTi or Nikon D80. But I am trying to decide why their is $200.00 difference between the two cameras?
Well, the XTi is Canon's newest entry level model, and the D80 is more of a "notch up" in Nikon's lineup. The D80 has better ergonomics, viewfinder, finer control of ISO speed settings, ISO 3200 (missing on the Canon) and more. The Canon also has some benefits (for example, it's "dust buster").

Try them out in a store. Each user will have preferences in a camera (size, weight, ergonomics, control layout, viewfinder, and more), and no one size fits all.

Quote:
Also to go with the Quantaray 18-200mm or a Tamron 18-200mm? Ritz camera says both Sigma & Tamron make the Quantaray lens depending on the notch in the Quantaray box? If you look at the specs they do seem to be the same. Please help and any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
The Tamron's specs are slightly different (size, weight). Although I'll admit the cosmetics of the Quantaray look like it.

But, read the description for the Quantaray 18-200mm on the Ritz/Wolf web sites, and the Sigma 18-200mm on Sigma's web site.

Ritz didn't even bother to change it from Sigma's description (it's identical, word for word). :-)

Quantaray 18-200mm

Sigma 18-200mm

If forced to pick between one of these "all in one" type lenses, I'd probably go with the Tamron.

Here are some reviews of both lenses, and you'll see comments in the Tamron's review discussing how it compares to the Sigma in some areas:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3563/index.htm

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3563/index.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I was wondering what do you know or have you used the Nikon 18-135mm lens? I know I would loose some telephoto, but would it be that much to notice and is the Nikon lens possibly that much better than say the Tamron 18-200mm?
kmfncaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:07 AM   #5

Once again KMF, this is a matter of personal preference. I like the Tamron 18-200mm lens. Here is a sample photo taken in St Petersburg, Russia, using that lens on my D-50.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote