Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:40 PM   #1

Anyone out there expreienced with these 3 cameras?

The thing that really confuses me is that the 710 IS has digital Image stabilization, the S3 has optical image stabilization, and the A640 is being shown without any.???

Thaks for any help or suggestions.
mac4lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:56 PM   #2

mac4lou wrote:
Quote:

The thing that really confuses me is that the 710 IS has digital Image stabilization, the S3 has optical image stabilization, and the A640 is being shown without any.???

No, the A640 doesn't have any image stabilisation. Otherwise Canon couldn't sell any G7. I own the A710 and it's a nice little camera, but the S3 is probably the better value, because it has many additional features like flip out display. If size matters, then the A710 is the obvious choice.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:53 PM   #3

That's the thing, does stabilization actually matter with a 4x optical zoom camera? I thought it really helped higher zooms, like the 10-12x ones. :?

Still learning I guess.

Thanks.

Lou.

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
mac4lou wrote:
Quote:

No, the A640 doesn't have any image stabilisation. Otherwise Canon couldn't sell any G7. I own the A710 and it's a nice little camera, but the S3 is probably the better value, because it has many additional features like flip out display. If size matters, then the A710 is the obvious choice.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:37 PM   #4

Yes, IS really and trulydoes matter a lot, even for a 4X optical zoom camera. And I can prove it to you rather easily.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:27 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Yes, IS really and trulydoes matter a lot, even for a 4X optical zoom camera. And I can prove it to you rather easily.

MT/Sarah
Could you possibly point me to a site that shows pictures with and without image stabilization? Might be easier for me to "see" the difference.

Also, with this is a new can of worms...is optical better than digital stabilization or vice versa? I can always make something harder than it needs to be. :?

Lou.

Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:02 PM   #6

Check out dcresource.com. Jeff provides very self-evident examples of the benefits of image stabilization.

Optical image stabilization is superior to digital image stabilization.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:26 PM   #7

Chris is very, very correct!

IS really works. What more do we have to do to convince you?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:40 AM   #8

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
Check out dcresource.com. Jeff provides very self-evident examples of the benefits of image stabilization.

Optical image stabilization is superior to digital image stabilization.
Yes, digital image stabilisation is a fake. Only optical image stabilisation and the Konica Minolta type antishake, which moves the sensor, really work.
Because mac4lou said something different, I would like to mention that both the A710 and the S3 have the very same optical image stabilisation, invented by Canon. From my own experience I can tell that it works quite well and that it really makes a difference. While you certainly can get better IQ with an A640 because of the larger 1/1.8" sensor, pictures get blurred quickly by shake, which may cause a lot of dissatisfaction. If you want both, a larger 1/1.8" sensor and image stabilisation, you have to take the much more expensive G7. However, the G7 doesn't have the nice swivel display of the A630/A640 and for the price of the G7 I would almost get both, the A710 and A630. Thus money is not well spent for the G7.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:35 PM   #9

Definitely believe you, Sarah, about the IS. Checked out some pics at dcresource.com and the difference is night and day.

I currently use a Sony W-50 and I've always wondered why I'd get the blurry pics sometimes.

I'm sure I want to go with Canon now, I'm just trying to find themodelthat has the right combination of Optical zoom (at least 4x), pixels (at least 6 Meg), and have Optical Image Stabilization.

Appreciate all the help everyone and am still open to suggestions.

Lou.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:19 PM   #10
fdi

I enjoy having a very small point n shoot so that when it is not convenient to have my SLR, I can easily have a camera with me. I use to use the Canon S500 for this purpose. It was certainly small enough but I did not like not knowing when it was going to shoot at 1/8 second when I was hand holding it and I did not like not having aperture priority. I recently stepped up the A710 IS. I really love the fact that it has IS. It should have occurred to me before, but if I don't have my SLR I don't have my tripod either and lots of vacation snap shots end up being in low light situations. The only thing I wish it had was the ability to shoot in RAW but to get that I need to step up to a camera that is a little too big to ALWAYs have with me. I recently took a trip to Whistler Canada. The only time I missed my SLR was when I cam across a reserve that had 4 bald eagles just hanging out. In that particular case, only a long lens and a tripod would have sufficed. You can check out the shots here, they were all with the A710:
http://www.pbase.com/lila161/whistler

Mark http://www.framedestination.com

fdi is offline   Reply With Quote