Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:53 PM   #11

The 18-55 refers to the focal lenth (in 35mm terms) of that lens, which is the Pentaxkit lens, which is actually quite a good lens. However, when used on the K100D is is, due to the multiplier, thelens is for all practical purposesa 27mm to 82.5mm lens The term "TV" refers to shutter preference and noise reduction is a software or firmware application made to reduce the visible effect of electronic noise that is present in the photo.

The Sony H-5 is a very capable camera. Here is a sample photo taken with the Sony H-5 handheld, at ISO 400, no flash, at 60 feet. All I was attempting to do was to point out that you might not really need a DSLR camera. As an Digital Camera Instructor, I have to be able to use and to teach all cameras.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:57 PM   #12

TC

Attached is also a photoshowing the relative size of the Sony H-5 next to the Sony D-50 with the kit lens.

Having raised eight children with my husband, my concern is that an ultrazoom is a one time investment. A DSLR camera is a continuing investment.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:10 PM   #13

That is also an amazing picture Sarah. Hard to make a choice with so many good options. Everyone mentions that a DSLR is something that I could be buying lens for way on down the road. I would prefer to have a camera that one lens for 90% of my photos that I take, as I mentioned above with the first post about the type of pics I take. Would a H5 be able to take clear pictures of a Friday night football game just as good as a DSLR? I have never owned a camera that could perform in a situation like that. Also I have a boat and love to have some great pics of myself of my wife wake boarding, after the baby comes out of course. Would a H5 be able to take one of those amazing pictures where you see all of the water from the wake or me landing a jump and water splashing everywhere?
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:23 PM   #14

TC-

Please keep in mind that an ultra zoom, like the Sony H-5,is a onetime investment and a DSLR is a continuing investment. In a DSLR camera the initial investment is small, it is the follow on costs of multiple lenses and accessories that really zoom the cost.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:23 PM   #15

I used for about 18 months a KM A200 wich is ok. I feel that a dslr can offer more to me in terms of versatlity, so that is the reason that I will buy a 400D (wich is cheap - sort of - )but with good lenses. The camera itself is ok, but with proper lenses you can get real performance. It all depends in what you intend to put money and most what do you need.
stefan2door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:54 PM   #16

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
TC-

Please keep in mind that an ultra zoom, like the Sony H-5,is a onetime investment and a DSLR is a continuing investment. In a DSLR camera the initial investment is small, it is the follow on costs of multiple lenses and accessories that really zoom the cost.

MT/Sarah
I understand that but I dont see that as a bad thing. If I get a ultrazoom then I am stuck with everything on that camera. If I get a DSLR I can upgrade things down the road. I do not have to if I dont want to but atleast I have the option. Maybe a really good all purpose lens will do the trick for me, or maybe I will fall in love with photography like some of you have and then I can divert my hobby money into more DLSR goodies.

That is how I am seeing it. Could you point out any faults in my idea? Is it normal to keep a DSLR for 3-5 years or more. I have never kept a digi cam for more than 2 years just because I have been disappointed with the results.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:55 PM   #17

With a young child it would be a DSLR for me just for the ability to put a fast f/2 or f/1.8 on the front and also have the use of the high ISO's, the H5 would not come close as it is no good above 400 ISO.

Regards Wirraway
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:02 PM   #18

TC-

I don't disagree with you necessarily, I just thought that it ought to be put on the table and mentioned. Moms are like that you know. I just want you going into this with your eyes wide open.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:12 PM   #19

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
TC-

I don't disagree with you necessarily, I just thought that it ought to be put on the table and mentioned. Moms are like that you know. I just want you going into this with your eyes wide open.

MT/Sarah
I appreciate the other angle that you are playing to make me think about both sides.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:24 PM   #20

TC-

That issue being disposed of for now, I just want you to know that I favor the Pentax K100D with the kit lens, which is quite good, along with the Pentax 50-200mm lens. Those two lenses will give you coverage from 27mm all the way out to 300mm and the K100D gives you IS with every lens you mount on it.

MT/Sarah