Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:35 PM   #21

Sarah,

Mind pointing me in the right direction of these lens that you are talking about? Link to a website would be great. I do not understand the different aspects of all the lens.
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:04 PM   #22

teecee,

For your intended use, a DSLR is definitely the way to go. However, they are not without cons...what is there in life that doesn't have a few cons?

1. A DSLR is more expensive. I don't care how great the entry level DSLR sales are...they are more expensive - now and in the future. You won't be happy of the quality of kit lens...you'll want to buy a better one. You won't be happy with the zoom range...you'll want a more powerful zoom. You won't be happy with the wide angle...you'll want a wider one.

2. You will find yourself lugging all kinds of gear around with you. Heavy, cumbersome gear. Hope you have a couple of free hands for kids, diaper bags, bottles, etc....oh, where's the camera?

3. No video...just when junior decides to let go of the couch and take his first steps to daddy, there will be no video taken with the DSLR.

4. Be prepared to try and remove dust from lenses, sensors, etc. It's a very real problem with interchangeble lenses.

5. Be prepared to do a lot of post processing to get good pics. Don't expect to get great pics right out of the camera. Hope you have some extra time to devote to learning photoshop.

Other than that, DSLR's are great...they're faster, give better quality pics and are much more versatile than P&S's...if you can live with the cons.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:12 PM   #23

When you say I will be hauling around tons of gear. Would you say more than a P&S camera such as the H-5? Also I do not want to have to spend much time in photoshop to make my pictures look good. I want them to look good out of the camera.

I guess I have some great suggestions, now I am thinking I should go to a local shop and play with a few.

I just called my local shop and they have the Sony H5, Nikon D50, and the Pentax K100D.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:49 PM   #24

teecee,

Going to a shop and playing around with a few cams is a good start. Regarding hauling...The DSLR will be considerably larger and heavier that most if not all P&S cams...the lenses are larger and heavier...you will probably want to buy a large camera bag that will hold at least two or three additional lenses. ..prime, wide angle, telephoto, zoom, etc.

I bring these things up, because there seems to be a kind of DSLR fever going around, especially in this forum...you don't want a P&S, you want a DSLR. Are they better? Yes. They are a lot better, but they are not for everyone...they are not for me - I did my thing with film SLR's for years...with wide angle lenses, telephoto lenses, zoom lenses, filters, lens cleaning kits, etc. I couldn't go anywhere without bringing everything...until I got sick of the hauling - then I never brought anything - and missed a lot of photo opportunies.

Now I have my all-purpose megazoom P&S, and I'm back into photography again.

Based on some of the statements you've made in this thread, I'm not sure you're ready for a DSLR...there's a lot more to photography than just a great camera.

" I am not a professional photographer but I do love gadgets."

"I mostly use the auto or scene settings on my past cameras plus my wife, smart but not techinical, will be using this camera so I would prefer something that is
geared towards the "prosumer"."

" Now since I am no where close to being a professional or even a hobbiest at taking pictures, would a DSLR be overkill? "

"I was thinking that something like the D80 would be a little too much camera for someone like myself. "

"3008x2000, 18-55, 1,842.29 Kb, Tv 30 sec, Noise reduction. What does that mean and why do the pictures look different? "

"
I have seen the DOF acrynom before but never knew what it meant."

"I would prefer to have a camera that one lens for 90% of my photos that I take, as I mentioned above with the first post about the type of pics I take. "

"I do not understand the different aspects of all the lens."

See what I mean? I'm sure you can learn how to use a DSLR, but how about your wife? Will she have the time to learn to use a DSLR, with raising a newborn? If you say yes...well...never mind.

You know what you want or need better than I...I just felt, after following this thread, that you should at least be warned.

See if your shop has the new Fuji S6000...as long as you're looking...

the Hun

Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:49 PM   #25

Can any of the cameras we talked about take a picture like this?

http://www.kalionzes.com/photography/XT.jpg

I stole this from another thread in this forum.

Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:53 PM   #26

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
teecee,

Based on some of the statements you've made in this thread, I'm not sure you're ready for a DSLR...there's a lot more to photography than just a great camera.

The more I think about the cons, the more I am starting to think the same thing. I think a DSLR might be above what I need. I just hope a P&S can take some of these amazing pictures that I see but have never been able to do.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:55 PM   #27

teecee,

That pic was taken with a Canon EOS-1D. If you hurry, you can pick one up at 42nd St Photo for $6700.00 (it's on sale this week). Oh, that's just for the body...you'll have to still buy some lenses for it.

Be sure to post some pics here after you get it!

the Hun

Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:58 PM   #28

Oh yeah, and the lens was 600mm...I have no idea what that would cost, but I couldn't afford the tripod required to hold it.

the Hun

Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:05 PM   #29

teecee,

Take a look at some of the pics taken here with a P&S (S6000):

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=16

Here are some taken with the F31, which has the same sensor as the S6000:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=16

Not as good a the DSLR, but pretty good in low light, and fairly versatile.

the Hun

Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:10 PM   #30

So what is the big difference from the fuji s6000 and the fuji F30/31? How does the Sony H5 stack up to these cameras? Sarah, if you have time maybe you can comment on this as well since you seem to be the guru. I think you own every camera. Almost every thread I go into you are in there. Pretty amazing.