Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:15 PM   #31

The F31 has a 3x zoom, the S6000 has a 10.7x. The F30 has no viewfinder, the S6000 has an EVF. The S6000 has full manual functions, including a manual zoom ring and focus ring...oh...here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:18 PM   #32

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
The F31 has a 3x zoom, the S6000 has a 10.7x. The F30 has no viewfinder, the S6000 has an EVF. The S6000 has full manual functions, including a manual zoom ring and focus ring...oh...here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all

the Hun

Forgive my ignorance. What is EVF? Any reason to buy one over the other?
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:35 PM   #33

Electronic ViewFinder. It shows you the same view as the camera LCD. The F30 only has an LCD. Not sure I understand your question...the cam either has it or it doesn't.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:06 PM   #34

TC-

In all honesty, either the Sony H-2, H-5, or Fuji S-6000 could haveeasily taken this photo.

http://www.kalionzes.com/photography/XT.jpg

That was the point I was laboring over previously. I think as much as anything you ought to take a good community college course in digital cameras, to learn how to get the most out of your digital camera. You see I am a community college instructor in digital cameras, and I have to teach everything from p&s to DSLR camera and be very proficient with them.

The attached photo was taken with my Fuji S-6000fd (fsce detection, a nice feature, especially with the baby coming) no flash was used, ISO 800, handheld, no IS, 1/34th of a second shutter speed while waiting for my husband in our local Optical Shop.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:08 PM   #35

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
TC-

In all honesty, either the Sony H-2, H-5, or Fuji S-6000 could haveeasily taken this photo.

http://www.kalionzes.com/photography/XT.jpg
Sarah,

I've grown to respect your opinion, but you oversell these cameras in this case. There is a far cry from the image above to people standing at a counter. It is no where near that simple. While those are all very fine cameras, they are NOT going to be able to produce the photo above - especially not with the distances obviously involved (600mm lens). Again, great cameras for what they are - but they are not in the same league as a 1-series and 600mm lens.

Doesn't mean they are not a good fit. But it's misleading to suggest these cameras are capable of this same photo under the same conditions.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:17 PM   #36

John-

I respect your opinion. However, if I remember correctly, that photo was in the Pentax DSLR folder, and the user was using a Sigma 70-300mm lens on a Pentax 10D.

That means that at most the focal length was 450mm, not 600mm. And yes, the Sony H-5 with 7.2mp could have come very close withits 432mm fully IS stabilized lens in those daylight conditions.

MT/Sarah

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:10 PM   #37

Quote:
However, if I remember correctly, that photo was in the Pentax DSLR folder, and the user was using a Sigma 70-300mm lens on a Pentax 10D.

That means that at most the focal length was 450mm, not 600mm. And yes, the Sony H-5 with 7.2mp could have come very close withits 432mm fully IS stabilized lens in those daylight conditions.
Then someone changed the exif. The exif states it was taken with a 1d and 600mm lens.

Also, I have yet to see any photos from the h-5 in similar circumstances. I stand by my argument - it's a far cry from people standing around to taking action shots. So, if you have some comparable photos to the one in question I'd be glad to see them. I just think people who don't shoot action don't have an understanding for what is involved - the focus systems for one. Just because a camera can take an equivelent landscape photo does not mean it can take an equivelent action photo.

And I honestly have yet to see anyone post action shots with these cameras. Doesn't mean they can't do it - just that people standing at a counter is a much easier shot to take and doesn't mirror at all the same situation as the one in the picture. But you seem convinced that it can. So, please share relavent photos - I accept that you don't do this type of photography so you may not have them. But you've obviously seen other sports shooters produce similar shots with the cameras otherwise how do you know they're up to the task?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:21 PM   #38

John-

There are a number of sports shots done with the Fuji S-6000fd over on the Fuji Forum at www.dpreview.com. You are correct that I don't normally do that kind of photography, so I will blitz over there and capture a few sports shots for you.

In the mean time please keep an open mind.

MT/Sarah
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:38 PM   #39

OK John-

Here are some sports shots taken with the Fuji S-6000, that I captured as promised over at the www.dpreview.com Fuji Forum.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:40 PM   #40

John-

Here is the second sports shot taken with the Fuji S-6000fd camera. Not bad at all for a LESS than $400 camera!

MT/Sarah
Attached Images